01 | surprise time

───── ❝ I was half asleep ❞ ─────

[ryunosuke chiba]

In the bustling city of Tokyo, far off the campus grounds of the prestigious Kunugigaoka junior high, a small wooden building is located.

From afar it looked like a scene out of a horror movie. An isolated cabin in the woods on top of a mountain no one dares to venture up. 

No one except for a group of idiot students who were forced to make this hike up and down the rusty steps every day for the rest of the school year. These were the End-class student—class 3E.

Third years ready to graduate and move on to the next bright and promising chapter of their lives. But on the contrary, their futures were anything but bright and promising; in fact, they may not have any future beyond the next month of March. 

The students, including myself, slouched in their uncomfortable seats with heavy gazes at the front of their classroom. 

A heavy aura hovered above our heads and our ears perked at the sound of a strong wind gusting outside the building. 

A green-haired student narrowed her eyes at the window while the rest of us don't bother to acknowledge it as we already knew who it was. 

I felt my shoulders tense as the noises of slimy movement grew closer and closer to our classroom. It slid open the door and entered the vicinity. 

"Rise." A bluenette shouted. The class follows his lead, standing up, weapons drawn. 

We observed the three-meter creature with mixed emotions while it simply stayed quiet with an unwavering poker face. 

"Begin."

I gripped the base of my rifle and pulled on the trigger, shooting a round pink pellet at my target—said the yellow creature—as did the rest of my classmates. 

The atmosphere of the room was intense and filled with tiny BBs yet the yellow creature effortlessly dodged each and every pellet shot at him. 

All while taking attendance.

"Chiba Ryunosuke!"

"Here," I huffed while reloading my gun. 

One week. It's been approximately one week since we were introduced to the alien life form known as Koro-sensei. As the specimen cheerfully closed his agenda praising us for having no tardies, we collectively groaned and began to clean up our mess. 

"He's too fast," a blonde student grumbled.

Koro-sensei's smile stretched further on his spherical face as he turned around to write on the blackboard. 

"Now, everyone, let's get started."

As the flashback from the first day of school faded to an end, I observed the thing at the front of the room standing proudly in front of our blackboard, reading his lines from a poetry book in a dramatic tone. 

I sighed, about to put my head down to drown out the noise of his annoying voice, but was stopped by the buzz of my phone in my pants. 

Reaching for it, I check the notification on my lock screen and read a two-letter name.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Em🎱:

Hey.

[typing...]

I'm transferring to your school 

???

Em🎱:

[typing...]

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Before I could read the next message she typed out, Koro-sensei called my name.

"Chiba! Now is not the time to use your phone!!"

Shit...

I hastily turned off my phone before one of his tentacles snatched it away. Internally, I let out a heavy sigh. I don't think I'll be able to grow fond of this guy any time soon. 

"Ten minutes of detention after school, young man!" The octopus snickered and green stripes morph on his spherical face.

I overhear some classmates giggling and feel slightly humiliated. Furrowing my brows, I folded my arms and leaned back in my chair staring at Koro-sensei's back as he returned to the front of the classroom.

After finishing my hell sentence with Koro-sensei, I left the building with slow steps. I remembered Emei sent me something before my phone got confiscated so I brought the device back out from my pocket. 

I checked my inbox and clicked on her name. 

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Em🎱:

I'll see you on Monday😪👍🏻

Why the hell are you transferring??

Em🎱:

y'know how I was homeschooled for last year's second semester?

[typing...]

What about it?

Em🎱:

Turns out my suspension was an expulsion.
That's why I was out for so long.

How did you get those two mixed up 💀

Em🎱:

They sound the same -3- and I was half asleep
when the principal told me lol

Ok...

So which class are you gonna be in?

Em🎱:

[typing...]

Class 3E 🥱

(read 10mins ago)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀