22 | talent time

───── ❝ star pupil  ❞ ─────

[tadaomi karasuma]

"What're you waiting for? Pick yourself a champion. Or save us the dilemma and agree to let me run the show." Takaoka threw the blade at me; it only landed inches away, and the tip of the blade dug up dirt.

I looked at my old colleague voided of any emotion, then back at the students, then at the injured students. Maehara. Kanzaki. Emei.

I wish I could be sure about this. Are his methods as bad as all that? We do have to kill this thing before march...

Maybe his take-no-prisoner policy is what saving the world calls for...

I'm not sure of anything anymore. Still...

How can I put one of these kids on the spot?

Do I even have a star pupil? 

Emei's agility and quick thinking make up for her laziness and weak stature, but even that wouldn't be enough. She lacks raw strength and is generally not the fighting type. Besides, she's already out cold so there's no point in that.

Akabane's the most promising fighter of the bunch with the rawest talent and weapon-wielding experience, but, of course, he's not here the one day I needed him.

Kimura is the fastest runner in E-class, faster than some adults in their prime even. But in close range, he'd be crushed.

Okano and Kataoka are talented in gymnastics, with sufficient balance, momentum, and control of their bodies, but-

My duty as their teacher is to prepare them for life not force them into it.

Choosing would mean I'd be responsible for any injured. But something told me that choosing Nagisa would be the right option.

He gave me an expression that was unreadable, but there was no going back now. I hand him the knife.

"You're up."

Watching Nagisa hold the sharp side of the blade to Takaoka's neck explained the chill I had felt earlier

Watching Nagisa hold the sharp side of the blade to Takaoka's neck explained the chill I had felt earlier. This wasn't an ordinary boy.

"Hey...That was pretty awesome, Nagisa~" Emei said from afar, her voice coarse and weak. She was awake. I didn't notice Koro-sensei helping Chiba carry her to the top of the steps amongst the chaos, but, seeing her fine gives me reassurance.

These children...They're strong. And they have my respect from now on.

"To teach is also to utilize those answers face to face. Furthermore, do it by drawing from the well of their confidence in us." Koro-sensei places a stern tentacle on my shoulder whilst we watch the kids teach Takaoka a lesson. "A student confidentially answers a question you yourself were puzzled by. And that's only the beginning. I believe you learned something valuable from the children today Nyufufufufu~"

He was right. And I proved that to the class by taking down the crazy son of a bitch with one hard elbow jab to his chin.

And finally, I rewarded the students by handing over my wallet and accompanying them wherever they drag me. This will never happen again though; it's just my way of saying thank you. 

Sure━I might have my doubts about being a teacher, but this place is really starting to grow on me.

(I tried to rewrite this but none of it saved so I gave up)