28 | fun time

───── ❝ definitely not  ❞ ─────

[ karma akabane ]

The tropical rays of sun streeked all over the white sandy beach, creating shimmery reflections of the crystal water surface. The vast sky proudly overlooked the individuals playing, lounging, and basking in its warmth beneath. 

The Okinawa resort's residents were having a blast before they executed the big assassination plan. 

We were served some fruity beverages by the hotel staff. I tasted a small bit but didn't care for the peachy scent. Emei on the other hand, already finished her glass. 

"Here, you can have mine since you seem to like it so much." I handed Emei my glass of tropical juice and she accepted graciously with stars in her eyes. Her glass was empty beside her.

I ran a hand through my hair watching Nagisa, Kayano, and Rio chase each other around, Rio holding a bucket of water and trying to splash it on the shorter pair.

"Don't you wanna go play?" I motioned my thumb behind me, gazing down at Emei. She took a big sip through the straw, slurping up half the drink then let out a big "ah" sigh. "We have a bunch of time before prepping for the assassination."

"Yeah. I want to look for seashells." She held up a yellow bucket and shovel blissfully.

She jumped from her seat, stepping out into the sun from the umbrella table. "Oh, sunscreen." The green-eyed girl reached into her bag for a bottle of sunscreen, starting to squeeze it on her arms, legs, and face.

"You look so stupid." I squeezed a dollop of sunscreen on my finger and swiped it on her nose. She responded by blending it into her face. "You're ten shades lighter now. You look ghostly."

"Well, Karma-kun, at least I won't be going home with skin as red as your hair," she said trying to slap my shoulder. I dodged her attacks with ease. Okay okay, ignore her comment. Do you notice anything different? We're on a first-name basis now baby. 

Ah──only because I prefer to be called by my first name...

Emei asked me to get her back since her navy blue one-piece didn't cover her shoulder blades. I blushed (because I'm a fucking teenage boy), admiring how fair her skin was while applying the sunscreen. 

Fuck, this was too intimate. 

My embarrassment washed away though when I saw an opportunity to taunt her cousin when he noticed me touching her. Finally a reaction out of the class edgelord. 

"Is there something wrong, Chiba-Kun?" He smirks:

"Eight.. Nine.. Ten.." Emei said in a low tone, counting the number of shells in her bucket. 

I don't know how I got dragged into following her like her babysitter, but I convinced myself it was the best of three options. 

Either I go distract Koro-sensei with the others, which I don't wanna spend this three-day vay-cay busy over that, or I go back into my room to die of boredom. So following the listless girl while she collected her seashells was the best option.

We were walking along the shore, Emei frequently squatting down to dig up something she saw in the sand. As if on cue, the wave washed in the biggest shell we've seen by far. "Oh! Eleven."

The girl picked it up to examine it. On closer inspection, we discovered it was a pink and orange conch shell. A large, solid, and heavy shell, with knob-like spikes on the spine, and a fanned wide, outer lip. 

"Karma-kun, look~" She presented the shell to me, sticking it in my face. I sneered, pushing it back with my finger. 

"Yes. It's a shell. Congrats." She gets excited over the smallest things. It's strangely adorable...wait what━

...

...

...

...

I like her.

"It's so pretty~" She hummed, carefully placing the shell in her bucket. 

I walked quietly behind her, eyes squinting at the heat waves rising from the sand. 

"How are you wearing that hoodie right now?? It's hot as hell. And what was the point of sunscreen if you're covered up?"

I fanned my face and removed the beach flannel I bought from the gift shop. 

Emei's gaze drifted to my bare chest and I gave her a sly grin, "Like what you see?"

Her face heated up, but her expression remained the same uninterested way. She looked at my face, then back at my body, then my face. 

"No."

"Oi." A tick mark appeared over my head.

"So are you gonna take the hoodie off or what?" I rubbed the back of my neck, fighting the evident blush rising to my cheeks. 

"It's my persona's key piece..." She hugged herself, twisting in place side to side. 

But the evident sweat on her forehead told me the weather caught up to her. "Ah...It is a little hot."

"Take it off. I'll hold it for you." I extended my arm as a clothing rack. "Unless you're too embarrassed━"

Without hesitation, Emei took her hoodie off and flung it into my face. 

"Oopsie."

Nevermind.