20 | score time

───── ❝ when did you care ❞ ─────

[karma akabane]

"Akabane-kun!" Emei's voice urged me to turn around to see her walking toward me waving her hand. Her brows were slightly furrowed. Other than that, sleepiness was still evident on her face. 

"Your hand. You guys are going to train for the baseball tournament starting tomorrow. Won't that hold you back?"

"Since when did you care," I shrugged and kept walking.

Emei ran in front of me and blocked my path by spreading her arms out wide. I only froze because I never saw her run that fast. "Hold on."

"What do you want?"

She took out bandages from her mini first-aid kit, then reached down to grab my hand. When our skin made contact, I felt that it was a strange form of intimacy.

What? No.

Emei's hands were gentle and smooth like I'm touching pastry dough, but a little calloused at her fingertips from training after school. She used her middle finger and applied Vaseline over my cuts, careful not to touch them too hard. Then she wrapped my hand in the bandages.

"There," Emei shoved my hand to my face to look at her work, stars in her eyes. 

"Aww. Karma is becoming a softie for Emei-chan~!" Rio teased mischievously, wiggling her eyebrows.

For only a second I feel embarrassed, but just as quickly I shake the feeling away.

"Thanks, bimbo," I replied flatly. Internally I am satisfied with my comeback. My eyes shift ahead and fixate on the walking figure in front of me. 

Rio and Nagisa whispered to each other assuming I can't hear them. But I can.

"Do you think there's any chance of improving their relationship?"

"Are you trying to set them up, Nakamura?" 

Uh. What?

I split off from the two, and now it was just me and the girl in the blue hoodie. I caught up with her; she made no reaction to me being right next to her. Our shoulders brushed every so slightly.

I moved my fingers around, folding them into my palm and releasing them a few times. The sting actually went away...

I took my other hand and pat her head. "Thanks, Em."

Her eyes widen; her cheeks glow pinkish. 

"Mm!" Emei threw her arms up with a look of determination on her face.

She looked...cute.

Koro-sensei's methods and training prepared us pretty damn well to face off against the baseball team

Although most of it felt like a shitty away game, my trash-talking, the other guys' bunting, and the intense pressure we all applied on their pride and joy, Shindo, we're able to take the win.

The girls watching from the side cheered for us as we finished and I finally spot Emei in the crowd. She motioned a tiny wave at me and I wink at her, laughing at her flustered reaction.

I think I'd like to see that determined look on her face more often.