13 | travel time

───── ❝ here you go ❞ ─────

[karma akabane]

Our long-awaited overnight trip to Kyoto was commencing today. Emei and I were the first to get there and she thanked me for dropping her off at her house with a deep bow. I rolled my eyes and left her in the 90-degree pose. 

Arriving at the meeting spot, we sat down on opposite benches facing each other. She sat crisis-cross while I just leaned against the backrest. We were close enough to talk at a normal volume.

"Sorry." She said.

"For what huh?"

"Making you carry me home the other day," she gave me a closed eye smile. I was about to insult her, but for some reason, I bit my tongue.

"Mm. You owe me."

The girl leaned forward enough to almost fall off her bench, big eyes blinking with perseverance. "What do I owe you?"

"A meal."

"What──?"

"I pick a spot, and you pay. Deal?"

Emei looked at her lap, contemplating, then back at me. She didn't seem bothered by my request, and that discouraged my teasing.

"No problem."

"Hey, Akabane-kun," Emei's very quiet and soft voice grabbed my attention. I twisted around to see her peaking at me above the train's seats. 

She was in Chiba's field trip group, and they just happened to be in the seating booth right next to ours. 

"Hm," I answered, turning back around to look at my hand of cards. My group was busy playing a quick game of Uno because we collectively got bored halfway through the ride. 

"Here." She reached over with a fist. I took it as the cue to give her my palm, and she dropped in a few wrapped candies in my hand. 

Then she ducked back into her seat and didn't say another word to me on the train. 

I ate the candies, sharing one with a jealous Kayano, and drowned out Nakamura's witty teasing. There was no point in bickering with her; she knew how to get under my skin. Our abilities to push people's buttons were on par.

I popped the last strawberry candy in my mouth and sucked on the hard sweet quietly. 

"Hey, Nagisa, you got a pen?" I nudged his arm. 

The guy shook his head, no, but Kanzaki chimed in. "Here you go!"

I gave her a curt nod and fixated my eyes at the wrapper in my hand. I pressed my fingers down to straighten it out and wrote a message on it. 

I folded the wrapper back up and tossed it over my seat. 

It read "Thanks" with a thumbs-up doodle.

"eh?"