08 | my time

───── ❝ what a pain ❞ ─────

[emei chiba]

The all-school monthly assembly.

It wasn't something the end-class rejects looked forward to. No one was on the edge of their seat to experience public humiliation from the rest of the school; students, teachers, and all.

Everyone's heads were hung low; the atmosphere was divided with the far right side of the gym dreadful. They get treated like the lowest of the low even by the D-class students.

Ironic considering they're hanging onto their luxurious air-conditioned classes by a thread.

The tap of the microphone silenced the noisy students. A man in a suit, the dean assumingly, leaned in and began his speech.

"You are the cream of the crop! This nation's modern aristocracy. Remember that. I am proud to be your dean. But," his closed-eye smile fades into a knowing look, targeting it towards E-class.

Emei pursed her lips as she counted the very few strands of hair on his balding head.

one...

"Don't get too comfortable. No! Let E-class represent the perils in that."

two...

The gym erupted into laughter. Even the teachers were laughing.

Wait, that's it? lol

"Now, now! It's unkind to laugh at their expense."

So noisy... Emei yawned with closed eyes, found the exit door, and made a beeline toward it. She slipped out unnoticed to her relief and went back to the mountain.

What a pain.

Emei wandered into the mountain woods, skipping over dirt hills and picking flowers from bushes. She brings her hand over her mouth and yawns. She encountered a grand oak tree. Its roots grew out of the dirt in all directions creating streams of wood in and out of the ground.

Emei found a nook in the tree created by two massive roots. It stuck to her as the perfect napping spot.

A pair of mercury eyes scanned the trail in the woods he frequently walked on. With his hands in his pockets, he kicked a pebble and followed it aimlessly.

The redhead didn't bother to attend the monthly assemblies; it was a waste of time and gave him a headache to be laughed at by a million voices.

He kicked the pebble again and watched as it tumbled down a slant in the ground and stopped beside a sleeping figure.