Rising Tension.

Humidity is a bitch. An impeccable bitch.

Even as I stand underneath the shade, my skin is still tingling with a fresh sun burn and I am practically sweating bullets. And it is absolutely terrible.

And this isn't the first day I've had to endure this horrible torture. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it's been this crazily hot from the start. And honestly, the weather is the littlest of my problems right now. I have bigger things to worry about. Like Alpha Beckett and the Purgatory and Adam's well-being and all that other junk. Yet here I stand. Thinking about how hot it is and how I miss taking showers nightly. And that I miss Portland's weather. 

I guess I'm somewhat homesick. Somewhat. I miss Portland's weather and I miss the forest and I miss the area. Not the people back in Portland. And that's where the 'somewhat' part comes into play. 

Each night, as we drive farther and farther away from Portland, I find myself wishing that somehow we can make it back there. Maybe when this is all over, we could go back. All of us. Which is stupid, because only weeks ago we were yearning to get out of Portland. And I doubted that when this was all over that Stella, Jeremy, and Liam would want to go back.

I'm sure they had their hometowns as well, though they never even bother to tell me where they were raised exactly. But I could tell that all of them were not from my hometown. Along with thinking about Portland each night, I've been thinking about Stella, Jeremy, and Liam's past a little more then I probably should. 

Like, were Stella, Jeremy, and Liam all apart of the same pack? Did they know each other growing up? Did their families and pack mates all die together due to the Purgatory? If not, how were they connected? Had they just stumbled upon one another one day? No answers. There were no possible answers. I had analyzed the questions over and over again and I came up blank each time.

If I had the courage, I would have probably asked them and put my restless thoughts to ease. But then, just as I was about to possibly ask Jeremy as he was fetching himself food one day, I stopped myself. Because I remembered about how much I hate when people ask me about my past, so wouldn't he hate that I asked about his? I certainly wasn't going to attempt to ask Stella. Nor Liam for the matter.

I knew Liam wouldn't talk about it. He only would if it was on his terms. And besides, Liam and I currently weren't talking so it's not like I would ever get the chance to slide it casually into an conversation anyway.

As stated before, none of us were talking to one another. And I don't think trying to break the silence with awkward questions was the right way to do it, so I kept quiet and drove myself mad because that's the only thing I could do.

When you're cooped up in a van with three other people who aren't willing to converse, you tend to over think and over analyze things. 

Like about what Adam said before the big fight happened. About my mother and how she was the Purgatory Alpha's daughter. The Alpha's daughter. 

If she was part Alpha, that entitles that am part Alpha. Which is scary to think about. Alpha blood running through my veins. It was even scarier to think it was Purgatory Alpha blood flowing through my veins.

But as Adam pointed out, they weren't as bad as they are now. The pack only became sadistic when a new leader took it over. And I'm sure some of the original pack mates broke off once that happened. Perhaps that's why no one recognized me as the Alpha's own daughter. 

The more I thought about it, the more freaked I became. Technically, I was Stella, Jeremy, and Liam's enemy. I was related to the pack that murdered their families. I was related to the pack they were trying so desperately to take down. I was related to the pack they despised.