Genesis.

Warning: mentions of abuse when Ronnie begins to speak with Adam. Just letting you know! 

NOT EDITED.

        I have a new scar, right on my back from being dragged across the boards.

I count them -- the scars, whether faint or prominent -- and end up with a total of five. The one on my stomach is most evident and the one on my back is jagged, running from my side to my shoulder blade. Liam smooths a finger across the puckered skin and I resist the urge to hiss. If I do, he will most likely beat himself up more. 

We'll reach Montana in a day. Adam has made sure we stick to a strict schedule to get there on time and avoid anymore interactions with the Purgatory. We don't risk staying at a motel, but rather we spend the night in the car. Liam curls up behind me and I sink into him, but I can't sleep no matter how hard I try.

I think of my dad, my mom, Anna, and everything that has occurred in the past days. My mind is on constant replay like a broken record so when it reaches 5 AM and the sun is starting to rise, I slip out. Liam doesn't protest, most likely because he's dreading getting up and driving for another eight hours. 

I venture from the car and take a seat on a boulder, watching cars pass from my perched spot. In a few hours, I will meet an aunt I don't remember nor I even know existed. As well as being the final link to my mom. At this point, she's the last of my family.

I wonder what she is like. If she looks like my mother or completely different, like Liam and Flora. I wonder if she has kids and a true mate. I don't know if she's aware we're coming, but Adam feels confident that she is willing to help us. 

She's also our last hope.

Speak of the devil, I think as I see movement out of the corner of my eye. Adam is awake, trudging towards me with ruffled hair and a shirt that is far too big on his frame. His lips are pursed and when he stops in front of me, I shuffle over to give him space to sit as well. 

We're silent and I almost wish he would let it stay that way, because I cannot bare another conversation about reflecting on what we used to be and what we're not. Who I'm not. At least, not anymore. 

But alas, when do I ever get what I want? 

"Is your back healing?" He asks, eyes sliding away from the cars to me. The bags under his eyes are deeper today. I nod slowly. "Good." He sends me a tight lipped smile and I return it.

I'm distracted momentarily from Belle who is supporting a head of lilac hair. Apparently, it was Rosalyn's idea in the first place and they did it while at the motel. She waves at me and then walks to Aflie, taking a seat on his lap. I'll miss her blue hair.

"Is Liam okay?" Adam asks and I furrow my brows at him.

"Of course. You know he heals fast," I answer. 

"No, I mean with you.. ugh, dying." Adam makes an awkward motion with his hand and a grim smile takes place on my face instead of the expression of bewilderment I wore before. 

"I still can't digest that, you know," I hum and pluck at the hem of my jeans. The rock is starting to get uncomfortable. "I was dead and I didn't even feel it. There was no out of body experience nor did I see any light." I tilt my head at him. "Do you think that's God's way of saying I'm going to hell?"

Adam smiles - a real one this time. "Maybe," He jests. "Maybe your soul just hadn't left your body because it knew it wasn't time."

"What do you mean?"