Silver Tongue.

TRIGGER WARNING: There are mentions of dark subjects in this chapter. If you are sensitive to this, I have put * where the discussion begins and where it ends. Please be cautious. I like my readers to enjoy reading my story and I do not want to put you in an uncomfortable position. Nonetheless, enjoy.

This has not been edited.

        Stella is still asleep.

She's been a sleep for eight hours. Rosalyn has taken Liam's harsh words to heart and is now blubbering like a baby to anyone who will listen about how sorry she is. I don't put the blame on her, but rather Alfie's friends. Dr. Ackhart is busy nursing the kid's broken nose. Liam smirks at me any chance he gets. 

Belle and I take turns watching over Stella and so does Jeremy. He's oddly quiet for once as he sits on her bed. He turns to face me as I lean against the frame of the door. 

"Is this what is was like when I was on unconscious?" He asks. "I mean, this worrying?"

There is no trace of humour on Jeremy's face, or even a hint of a smile. He hasn't attempted to crack a joke within the hours of Stella sleeping, not even Alfie's friends leered close. It's uncanny. 

"Yeah," I mumble and I offer him a small smile. 

"I should have went to check on her. I remember her walking off and Kev following her and I didn't even process it. She could have drowned." He murmurs the last sentence quietly. "We were all so happy and carefree last night. I should have expected something would happen; you can only be happy for so long."

"Kev should have pulled her from the water. Taken her back to the house. But he didn't. It's his doing at the end of the day." I say and I make my way to sit next to him, clasping my hand over his. It's a strangely intimate gesture, one that I am not use to sharing with Jeremy. "Don't put the blame on yourself. It'll eat you away."

I speak from experience. 

"Secrets are eating us away, Ronnie," Jeremy says. He appears different when he says this. Something in his eyes indicates to me that he speaks with experience as well. It's different to see him so solemn that I nearly feel uncomfortable. But this is his best friend. Our best friend. And we are both just as confused as to what Stella went through. 

Jeremy gently removes his hand from mine. He reaches and brushes a finger across her forehead, running down her cheek. It so soft and tender and loving. Stella and Jeremy fight a lot, but at the end of the day, they still care for one another equally. They've grown up together, grown to know each other. Stella has beat up many in his honor and Jeremy has always been her back up. "I've never seen Stella crumble like that," He murmurs as he retracts his hand. "It's weird."

I don't know what to say, so I agree and we sit in silence, listening to Stella's breathing. Belle interrupts us later and calls us down to dinner. Jeremy says he will join us later, though I don't believe him, I nod and tell him to take his time.

Surprisingly, conversation flows easily at the dinner table.There is no mention of what happened earlier. Belle and I are the only one's that are quiet. Liam is a no show, but I don't mind. 

I discover why later when he comes down and tells me Dr. Ackharts want to see us after dinner. I finish quickly. "I'll swing by your room later tonight," I say to Belle. She nods and collects my plate and I walk with Liam up the stairs. 

"He says he found some stuff on what Jeremy injected himself with," Liam murmurs as we round the corner but he stops me before we enter. "Ben's pissed."