Chapter 4

A/N: Here is the next chapter >.< I have been so excited to write this, because I already have big plans for this book, but I still want your suggestions, so PLEASE comment.

Vote if you think Niall is a sweetheart.

Chapter 4:

"Excuse me?" Richard Griffiths said incredulously. "You what?"

"I refuse to be in the band, so my answer is no."

His smile could have iced over the entire Sahara Desert, as it stretched widely from ear to ear, like a madman really. "Wrong answer, love."

As I registered shock, then anger, I realized I had gripped my hands together tightly and had stop the blood flow, and I released them under the table. "You have to be kidding me. You can't make me!" My voice rose higher at the end.

Harry Magee began to chortle into his fist, and soon the rest of the businessmen were laughing along with him. What did I say that was so funny? Mr. Magee explained, "She is certainly full of surprises."

Mr. Griffiths tightened his hand on my shoulder threateningly, still standing over me. "Allow me to explain how this is going to work, Ms. Stanford. Although we wanted you to agree with us and join willingly, you really had no choice in the matter. You will be the sixth member of One Direction."

He spoke as if he were the cleverest man in the world, but he was only a snake. A snake that could not force me to do anything. He may be a big shot here in the UK, and control One Direction, but I was from the USA, and I am not obliged to do anything for this man. Especially, join his puppet band, as I am sure he treats them. I jumped to my feet, a fierce look in my eye, as I shoved his hand off my shoulder. "Listen here, sir, I will not let you change my entire life just because a cults wants 1D dead. It isn't my problem. I helped them out and now I am done. Let me leave." I hissed the last words through gritted teeth. I had never been so angry in my life, but I knew the consequences if I backed down. Becoming a part of the boy band, as the new female member, would change my life for good, and not in a way that I wanted.

Slyly, he backed away from me, a smile still on his lips as he circle back to his chair, eyes trained on where I stood, breathing heavily. "Tell me, Ms. Stanford, about that book you wrote a year ago. Was it not published?"

I had no idea how he knew that about that. Sure it was not a secret, but the man had only just met me and seemed to know everything about me. I did not respond, because I knew I did not need to.

"And am I correct in saying that when that book was published, you signed a contract with the company?" I nodded my head, not understanding how this had anything to do with me joining the band. The head of Modest Management picked up the remote once more, and changed the the screen from me singing, to a picture of a contract with my signature at the bottom.

"How did you-?" I trailed off in surprise. Did this man have a resource to everything? What else did he know?

"Now, now, let us not chatter about that." He waved away my question, and zoomed in on the contract picture. "And if you would read here with me: In all matters of biographies involving that of living or dead figures, the contracted should be made aware of the label rights that are flexible under another name, and rights are completely given over the production of a piece. Do you know what that means, Ms. Stanford?"

I had a horrible feeling that I did. I remembered the company representatives sitting down with me and explaining that when I signed for them they would be in charge of what I wrote, and how I was advertised, and so on. At the time, that was fine with me, because I just wanted to be signed to write for someone, and they wanted me to write what I was already comfortable with. I vaguely remembered them going over the bio section, but even so I understand the contract well enough to know what that meant, I just sincerely hoped management did not.