Chapter 9

A/N: Did you know that I love you all so much? No? Well I do. I love every read, comment, and vote I get so please don't forget. I would also love if any of you could maybe suggest to some of your friends to read this*wink wink*... 

Chapter 9:

I should not get it. I should just lay here and act like I never heard my phone ringing from the bedside table, or that I see the bright screen shining through the dark room. I should ignore it and get some sleep, because I was up until midnight watching videos and eating the meal I had ordered from room service. I needed sleep for the interview tomorrow, but eventually my curiosity overwhelmed me and I reached out for the phone. My mother was calling me. I almost dropped the phone on my face in surprise, but of course she would call eventually. Only my entire life had been changed the second I left her comforting arms and flew over seas. I was going to get an ear full.

Keeping my voice down to avoid waking anyone in the suite up, I answered with, "Hey, mom."

"Hey, darling. How are you?" Her voice was sad and familiar. I loved my mother so much, because when it came down to it she always supported me in the rough times and encouraged me when I felt down. She never fought battles for me though, and never defended me herself if people at school ever did or said something. She told me that if I was stupid enough to let things bother me, then I should be able to handle it head on. That was why I knew that even if she felt sorry about my situation, she would not do a thing to help me besides some good advice.

"I'm good." I lied.

"Where are you exactly? Would you explain to me what happened?"

"I'm in One Direction's hotel suite, lying in a very nice bedroom if I do say, in London still but we will be leaving soon I guess." I mushed the side of my face into my pillow and breathed deeply then almost choked on the scent of Axe cologne I had not smelled before that moment. Oh Liam, why did you not take your reeking pillow with you? Still suffocating on the scent I coughed out, "Uh, I don't even know how to explain, mom. I was at a concert with Tori, then I was in a taxi, next I was being forced into One Direction by Modest Management by using that stupid contract I signed for my book, and now I'm the sixth member. Like a nightmare, right?"

"Or a dream come true..." She mumbled into the phone. I would not have understood her if it were not that I knew her so well.

"Mom, why did you call?" I remembered now that the UK was five hours ahead, so although it was one in the morning here it was only eight back home. Of course my mother would forget and call at any hour of the night she pleased.

My mother sighed into the phone, "Just a lot of things are happening right now. I want you home, but I guess its better that you aren't. This is really a chance of a lifetime, sweetie. Your management called me this morning to make sure I had released you as a legal adult, since I have I can't stop them from using that contract against you."

"I know there's no way out of it. I got it." I curled my legs up to my chest and pulled the covers over my head so I could feel more private talking with my mother even though she was miles away. If I darkened out my surroundings and cuddled into this bed then maybe I could pretend I was back home in my own bedroom and my mother was at the end of the bed chatting with me, a cup of hot chocolate in her hand. "Mom, what's up at home? What's wrong?"

"Your... your father is..." She stuttered, before she began crying and her sobs echoed through the phone line. My heart sank to my stomach and I felt absolutely broken at the sound of my own mother, strong and resolved, weeping without restraint. "Your father is in rehab."

Now my heart was completely shattered. She had to be lying. Things like that did not happen to my family. We did not ever have to face those things, and yet here my mom said it in those simple five words. Just like the five words "You are the new member", that phrase held so much meaning for my life.