Ch. 18{The Last Name} Heartbreak

*With Rose*

After Light and I were well after being confined, all of us were in headquarters sitting at a table watching the news and Kiyomi Takada was speaking on the broadcast. "Easy for them to say" Light said. "I wouldn't blame them. It's true we haven't got anything on Kira yet." L said emotionless. "That doesn't sound like you." Light said to L. I was sitting next to Light and I couldn't help but wonder that Light was acting... different than usual.

The next morning, we watched the news and Kiyomi announced that the former announcer, Saeko Nishiyama, of Sakura TV was killed in an accident. And now Kiyomi Takada was taking her place.

Later that day, we were still working as usual and a glanced at the recorded screen where Misa was held. Light was there with her concentrated on his work. They also talked but in Japanese. Misa was next to him begging for attention. She reminded me of a puppy wanting the attention. Light was leaving the room and Misa went after him again like a puppy.

Light came down the stairs where all of us were. He brought his laptop to the table where I was working and sat near me. "Ryuzaki's feeling down" I heard Ukita mutter to Aizawa. "Because he found out Kira wasn't Light?" Aizawa asked sarcastically. I saw Light pull up some data onto the screen and Misa was still barking to no one in particular in the room, being annoyed at being alone.

"Ryuzaki," Light said to L, "Tell me. How probable is it that I'm Kira?" L was sitting on the couch looking depressed while eating sweets. "The probability that you are Kira is almost zero." L said. "I see. I'm relieved to know that." Light said, then snuck a glance at me with a loving smile. I smiled small back. "I'm also glad that you're not Kira." L said breaking me and Light's eye contact. "But now that's cleared, we're back where we've started." "What would you say if I told you I've found a clue?" Light asked trying to hint L on getting happy. L looked up at him with a stuffed mouth full of marsh mellows. "What kind?"

"Look at this," Light said as he pulled something up on the screen. Everyone including me was listening to this. "These red and blue dots represent the killings before and after I was confined." "Does this mean that there's only one Kira?" Ukita asked. "There's a slight difference," Light said."You're right." Matsuda said astonished. L got off the couch and said "It's impossible to copy someone else's actions exactly. One cannot hide one's true nature." L said. "Ryuzaki..." Ukita drawled out. "You've lightened up." Matsuda said. "That's the spirit." Light said smiling at L. "If there were only one Kira, the patterns wouldn't change as much. It's most likely that the first Kira and the new Kira are different people." L said. "Ryuzaki, is your appetite back?" Light asked leaning on the table. L looked at him "Yes, thanks to you. What's the factor?" L asked. "The first factor is communication. The new Kira has killed more suspects announced by the media. The second factor is gender. The new Kira seems to be more interested in issues concerning women. This Kira could be female. This may actually be the answer." Light explained. "Go on and tell us." Matsuda said excitedly. "It's the number of times a certain network broadcasted the incidents. Sakura TV." "Let me summarize. The new Kira compared to the original Kira... " Ukita started. "... has a connection to the media, and is a woman... at Sakura TV" Matsuda said thoughtfully then got a hopeful and bright look on his face. "A newscaster has just been replaced!" Matsuda said excitedly. Light smiled and nodded at him. I just softly chuckled at Matsuda's reaction, he was enjoying this. "But wait... what about Scarlett? Is she cleared?" Matsuda asked. I looked at L. "Scarlett didn't act strange and we didn't have any evidence on her so... yes she's cleared" L said with a quick small smile at me. L went back to sit on the couch and eat his sweets.

"Light?" I asked. He looked softly at me. "Yeah? What is it Scarlett?" he asked. "You ok? I mean you seem.... different..." I said to him not letting the others and L hear us talking. Light gave a confused look. "Yeah why wouldn't I be?" he said. I shook my head. "Nevermind." I said. I could still feel Light's gaze on me while all this time he leaned on the table. The phone rang and Watari picked it up to see who it was.

"Miss Johnson? Its for you." Watari said to me. Who would be calling me? I got up and walked to the other table where the phone was. Watari handed me the phone and left me to talk. "Hello?" I asked. "Yes, I'm speaking to Ms. Hart right?" the man's voice asked. "Yes, that's me. What is it?" I asked. "Miss, I work for the police in New York and I have news about your previous case. Mr. Johnson... somehow escaped..." I had a bad feeling rush in me. "What do you mean he escaped? I gave strict orders to not let that man go or escape" I said in a quiet harsh voice. I didn't realize that L glanced at me wondering why I was irritated. Light saw L's reaction and then looked towards me.

"I'm sorry, Miss. But we also found out more." the guy said. "What?" I asked "Miss.... I'm sorry... but, Allison... is dead. We found the place where she was killed and.... there was a serious loss of blood..." the man said. I had tears in my eyes and my voice shacked a little. "No... she... she has to be alive" my quiet voice shacked and I knew I would break down crying any second. I could tell now that the rest of the investigation team noticed my voice shaking.

"Miss... there's no possible way. We looked through the sce-" I hung up the phone with an audioable sound. I had a few tears stream down my face. I could feel everyone's eyes on my back. I turned around while keeping my head down and left the room so they wouldn't see me like this. I walked down the hallway and heard them calling after me. "Scarlett, wait! What is it?" I heard Mr. Yagami asked. "Scarlett, what's wrong?!" Matsuda exclaimed. I heard their footsteps then stop by the door. Mr. Yagami and Light were outside of the doors watching me while Matsuda looked around the corner of the doors watching me go off. And the others were still in the room looking out the doors where I walked out of. Mr. Yagami sighed as he went to go back in the room but stopped when Light went after her. "Light-?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was now in a different room with big windows and couches with chairs. I was still on the second floor near the railing. I had my elbows on the railing and my hands covered my face as I cried. I was feeling pain all over again. I heard footsteps coming toward me and looked to see it was Light. Light looked at me with sympathy. "Scarlett, what's wrong?" he asked softly as he walked up next to me. I looked away from as I sighed. "Remember my best friend? The one I told you about that was kidnapped by that guy I showed you?" I asked. He nodded. "That call was from the police and... they now know that... she's dead..." My voice was quiet when I said this. Light looked at me sadly. "I couldn't... save-!" I couldn't finish my sentence as I choked from a sob. More tears ran down my face, but were wiped away by a thumb. Light's hand was on my cheek and his thumb wiped the tears away. I looked at him as he looked at me. "I'm sorry, Scarlett...." Light said lightly. He then gently hugged me, his head on top of mine. I wrapped my arms around Light and nuzzled my face into his shoulder and let the rest of the tears out....

pic of Allison :'( ---->