Ch. 7 The Investigation Team

I returned to the hotel and by then the uneasiness from the whole Kira encounter, was gone. I entered the room and L was sitting in his unusual posture and eating sweets.

"Ah Scarlett, your back." L said as he drank from a cup. "Please have a seat." I walked to him and sat beside him as I set my bag on the ground. L took another sip from the cup. "So... anything suspicious happen?" I saw L look at me from the corner of his eye. I remembered my encounter with Kira. Should I tell L that I met Kira? "No.... nothing." I said. I guess my concious gave my answer.

"That's a shame" L said as he placed the cup back on the table, grabbing a chocolate bar. He then handed me a chocolate bar and I took it and started eating it. I loved chocolate but I didn't eat it or any sweets a lot. "Where's Watari?" I asked. "He's with the investigation team. And it seems almost all of the investigators quit this case, except six of them. And since they don't really trust me with working with them on the case, they're coming here to meet me." L simply said. "You sure that's a good idea? One of them could possibly be Kira." I said. L stared at me. "Well I brought you here didn't I? And you could have been Kira." He said. Good point. He got me on that one.

"So when are they coming?" I asked. "They're on their way right now." He said. I nodded and got up from the couch and brought my bag to my room. I put my bag under the bed and noticed Arashi was sitting on the bed staring down at me. "What?" I asked him. "I was just thinking...." Arashi said in thought. "About.... what?" I asked not sure what he was getting at. "I can't pick how to describe that L" he said. I blinked, then looked to the side, furrowed my eyebrows, then looked at Arashi again. "I mean he has panda like eyes, but then he sits like a......monkey." Arashi twitched his ears.

I smiled at Arashi trying not to giggle. He can be so silly and random sometimes. After a few minutes passed by, I knew the investigation team came in and I walked out of my room and L just introduced himself. The investigation team looked at L then me then at Watari who only smiled and nodded. They then introduced themselves.

"I am Yagami", "Ukita", "Aizawa", "Mogi", "Sanami", "Matsuda-" And then I didn't expect this to happen. L made his hands look like guns and looked like he was shooting them. "Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!" I looked at L with a 'what the hell' face and the one named Matsuda shouted out something in japanese and went to charge at him but Aizawa stopped him. I could tell Arashi had the same look I had.

"If I were Kira, you'd be dead by now." L said back in English. "What do you mean?" Yagami asked. "From what we know so far...." L said as he said in his posture on the couch eating a sweet. "Kira needs the names and features of the targets in order to kill them. From now on, don't give out your real names. As for myself, call me Ryuzaki." "Alright." Yagami said. He and the rest of the investigation team looked at me. "And this is Miss Scarlett Johnson. She's one of America's top detectives and I've secretly hired her. And whenever we're around her, please speak in English so that she can understand us." L said. The investigation just stared at me, guessing for how pretty I must be. Oh God, more staring. Even Mr. Yagami was too and thinking back to what Light said to him earlier.

I noticed Matsuda was blushing when he starred at me. I thought that was cute. "Kira can also manipulate one's behavior before death" L said interrupting. "The suicide notes written in jail were probably Kira's experiment." "Experiment?" Matsuda asked. "He tested them to see how accurately he could kill the FBI agents." I didn't know Kira killed all the FBI agents. Was that why he was on that train and how that killed Raye Iwamatsu? "He's sent a message to me through their suicide notes." L continued. "Did Kira do that, too?" Mr. Yagami asked.

"The agents died soon after the experiment. During that time, he somehow got the names from one particular agent." "Kira is someone within the authorities.... marked by the FBI before the experiment." Mr Yagami said. "Exactly." L said. "That should be easy to narrow down" Ukita said. "Yeah" Aizawa said. "Judging by Kira's behavior, he is very immature and hates to lose. Just like me." L said. "I've been losing up till now but things are going to change. Let's win this together." L smiled. "Ryuzaki. This isn't a game, this is an investigation." Mr. Yagami said seriously. "Our purpose is no different." L said. Everyone became silent and Mr. Yagami sighed. This was going to be a long case.

A few hours went by and some of the team was setting up tvs and Matsuda, Aizawa, and Ukita were carrying boxes with tapes inside in the room. While L was picking out some tapes, I was on my laptop typing up some of the case work. After I was done with that, me, L, and the rest of the investigation team were gathered together watching the security camera tapes trying to see if there was something suspicious.

After many hours of just staring at the tv, the whole investigation team fell asleep, but L. I ended up falling asleep on the couch next to L. He didn't seem to mind. Surprisingly at times, I could feel him softly petting my head like a puppy while I slept, or maybe I was hallucinating since I was half asleep.

The next morning, L called in the investigation team in. "You narrowed down the list?" Mr. Yagami asked. "Yes." L said as he handed over the pictures. Every one got to see them and Mr. Yagami didn't seem happy. I got the pictures next and I saw one family and then the next family. As I went through the second family pictures, I saw a sweet middle aged mother, then a pretty high school girl, and then my eyes widen a bit. The last picture was a picture of the same guy I saw at the college and on the bus! I continued to stare at the guy's photo as I listened to the others.

"The Chief and Deputy Chief's families." Ukita said. "Why don't you explain?" Mr. Yagami asked. L explained and showed us the recorded death of Raye Iwamatsu. And that Kira was on that train. L then explained who the woman at Raye's side was. Her name was Naomi Misora, a FBI agent that used to work for L. But now she's disappeared since Raye's death. L then decided to place cameras and bugs in both of the families households. The whole investigation team wasn't satisfied with the idea, but Mr. Yagami gave up on doing it, even though he didn't like it. So L decided to place the cameras and bugs in the houses for 7 days and that Mr. Yagami, L, and me would watch over the Yagami household, while the others watched the other family.

*With Light*

It was night time and Light was writing names in his notebook. "Hey, Light, Why are scheduling deaths for weeks ahead?" Ryuk asked. "So that I won't be suspected, in case I'm hospitalized, or tied up somehow." Light explained while writing. "Hm. What about your little american crush? She's a detective and working on the case." Ryuk said curious to Light's reaction and answer. Light stopped writing and went in a little daze. "Uh oh looks like I made the almighty Kira think of his lover" Ryuk chuckled. "Well... it's true that she's a detective and working on the case, but when I talked to her she said she was on both my side and L's. So I don't see her as a threat...." Light said as he continued writing more names down.

Ryuk didn't bother Light anymore as he watched a japanese girl on a show called Misa Misa's Happy Sweets.