Ch. 27{The Last Name} Withered Rose (Ending 1 part 2)

Before meeting with L, Mr. Yagami was in his office and opened up a file. He had gathered up Rose's belongings and went through her files to find any useful information and checked her phone for the numbers he needed to contact. He first called the Police in America where she had worked and told them of her death. They were grieved to hear this news and they would have a proper memorial for her.

Then, he called Rose's only family member which would be harder. He called her brother, David, and told him who he was and that he worked on the Kira investigation with Rose. He finally told him that his sister had passed away. He could hear David break down over the phone. Mr. Yagami gave him his condolences and assumed he would want his sister's body transferred back to America to bury her. But he mentioned that Rose meant something to him and especially his son and thought it would be an honor to have her buried next to Light. But of course, Mr. Yagami left the decision to David.

Mr. Yagami came home already having a rough day of making the phone calls and now had to tell his wife and daughter. It wasn't easy seeing them break down after hearing Light's death. They were even more saddened when they heard Rose was dead too. It was a long and painful process. Mr. Yagami had forgotten how many days it's been.

Mr. Yagami had packed all of Rose's belonging so that they would be shipped to New York where David lived. Once he already did, he placed a framed picture of Rose that they took when she was here during the investigation. He walked into the kitchen and placed the picture next to another framed picture of Light on a small table. He sighed and grabbed his briefcase and headed to work.

The day of the funeral came and it was an overcast day. Light and Rose were remembered. Afterwards, the Yagami family placed a bouquet of flowers in a vase in Light's room. His room was left where everything was and no one used it in respect that it was still Light's room.

Meanwhile, Arashi sat on top of another roof of a house and looked at the Yagami residence. Ryuk flew beside him.

"Why you still hanging around here?" Ryuk asked.

"Got nothing better to do" Arashi said.

"Say what ever happened to Rose's Death Note? You don't have it."

"She burnt it. She always kept it and never used it. She actually thought that by keeping it in her hands, that it wouldn't fall into the wrong hands. There's more out there for the death gods. Even the king of the gods of death can give away as much death notes as he wants." Arashi said.

"In other words, she was doing something pointless." Ryuk confirmed.

"Guess it was a drag hanging around her" Ryuk continued.

"Eh. She was interesting, especially how her and her brother were to each other, but most of all it was the beef jerky that made me stay." Arashi said.

Arashi stood on his four paws and opened up his bat wings.

"What are going to do now, now that Light is gone?" Arashi asked.

Ryuk shrugged. "I'll stick around for a while."

Arashi didn't say a word, but he flapped his wings and he took off into the sky. Ryuk watched as the death god flew away, most likely back to the realm where the gods of death lived. And Ryuk stayed on the roof for whoever knows how long.

One Year Later.

Back in New York City, Rose's brother's career had increased on his new published books. And one of them was highly rated and the main character was a girl, who had red hair and blue eyes. David had reviewed that the girl was a reference of his recent deceased sister, Rose. When Rose had passed, David was at his worst. Instead of writing, he would drink and waste his life away. That is until he met a woman that changed his life. Carolyn was her name and ever since she started to help him out, he grew to like her. They ended up dating and things brightened up more and more for David as long as Carolyn was there for him. Now, it was a year later after Rose's death and David and Carolyn were now engaged.

They had discussed names for kids and they both agreed that if they were to have a girl, they would name her with the same name as her aunt. Rose, Rosalie, or something like that. But soon another rose bud would be blooming.

The skies were dark and cloudy with a very cold temperature. Sayu and her mom were in the kitchen putting the last touches of frosting on a cake.

"It's been so long since I've made Light's birthday cake myself." Mrs. Yagami said, "We started buying them when he entered school."

"I remember asking him if I could blow out the candles." Sayu said smiling.

"Light let you blow them out. He was such a gentle boy..." Mrs. Yagami's bright voice turned into a sad one and Sayu stared sadly at her mom.

"Him and Rose were so... They would've been a great married couple" Mrs. Yagami said with a sad smile.

"I would have loved to have Rose as a sister. Just imagine what they're babies would have looked like!" Sayu said trying to brighten the mood.

It was silent for a minute and Sayu glanced outside and became excited.

"Mom, it's snowing!"

"Take an umbrella to your father" Mrs. Yagami said and Sayu nodded as she went to get the umbrella and hurriedly left.

Mrs. Yagami stayed at home alone finishing the cake with a frown on her face.

The snow got a bit heavier and Mr. Yagami was outside of the train station. He had just got out of work and he shivered against the cold.

"Dad!"

He turned to see Sayu running to him with his umbrella.

"You didn't have to." He said as he opened his umbrella and Sayu snuck in next to him.

The two began walking home.

"Crimes have increased since Kira disappeared." Sayu said.

"Do you want Kira to come back?" Mr. Yagami hesitated to say.

"Never... he killed Light and Rose." Sayu said as she cried and stopped in front of her dad.

Mr. Yagami wrapped his arm around her and they continued walking.

"Light fought with Kira up to the very end. Light and Rose deeply cared for each other and always tried to keep the other safe." Mr. Yagami said to her.

"I know. I know..." Sayu continued to cry as she muffled her voice into her scarf.

The two carried on home through the snow flurries thinking of Light and Rose.

Back at Misa's home, she had a picture of her family, a picture of Light, and a picture of Rose on her alter with lit candles around them.

"Happy Birthday" Misa said to Light, "I seem to have forgotten something very important. But..." Misa stood up and stretched as she laid down on her bed.

"I can't remember what it was." Misa stared straight at her ceiling above her.

"Light... Rose..."

The city's lights in Japan glowed brightly against the snow flurries. Inhuman laughter could be heard, echoing around the city, but no one could hear them. Ryuk flew around a bright tower and he continued to laugh, a dark one. He flapped his wings and flew to wherever he would go next for entertainment and fun. His sinister laughter faded into the cold, night sky as his dark figure disappeared into the clouds...