Ch. 24{The Last Name} Breaking In

After last night with having that nightmare, I decided to finally act. I had a feeling Allison was trying to warn me. If I found some evidence then he would stay in jail for good.

Early in the morning, before the Yagamis woke up, I snuck out of the house. I went to different parts in the town trying to find the same 'For Rent' house I saw in my dream. After looking for three hours, I finally saw it. I hid behind the corner and I saw him. Mr. Johnson. He came out of the house and got into his rented car and drove off somewhere. For days, I continued to watch him and record my info. He always left the house at six in the evening and came back home late. All the times he came home, he acted drunk. So starting at six every evening, he goes to a bar and drinks.

I told L that I had found the person I was looking for and I asked him if he could put cameras and bugs in his house. L looked interested and I told him I planned on getting him caught. I could tell L was surprised with what I was going to do. I didn't say anymore after that.

L had set up to put cameras and bugs in the house and Mr. Johnson didn't know abut them. We both watched what he did secretly. All he ever did was get up every late morning, eat, drink alchohol, read, go get groceries, and go out to bars in the evening. There wasn't anything suspicous. I knew he was hiding something. I told L that I had a plan and to make sure he watches the cameras in case something bad happens or to know to call the police.

*Next day/ with L and the others*

Light and his father entered HQ and soon after the rest of them came in to start working. L had the cameras on that showed Mr. Johnson's house outside and every room on the inside. Mr. Yagami scrunched his eyebrows in suspicion. "*Ryuzaki, what are those?*" "*They're shown from secret cameras. We may have a murderer in that house*" L said sipping his sugary tea. "*Murderer?*" Ukita asked. "*Are you aware of a man named Mr. Johnson?*" L asked. Mr. Yagami saw his file in Scarlett's folder. The others shook their heads. "*Before Scarlett came to work on this case, she suspected Mr. Johnson had kidnapped her best friend named Allison Richardson. Turns out there was barely enough evidence and he escaped from jail a while ago. Now Scarlett has seen him and he's in Japan. She strongly suspects that he's after her next. So now she's planning on breaking into his house to see if he's hiding something*" L said and everyone looked serious and shocked. Light' eyes were wide and he stalked over to L. "*Why would you let her do that?! She's putting herself in danger!*" Light yelled at him. "*She'll be fine. As long as we keep an eye on her and the murderer.*" L said too calmly. "*This is crazy!*"Sanami shouted. "*Yeah I agree!*" Matsuda shouted also. Mr. Yagami looked upset like the others and sighed. "*Ryuzaki, I hope you and Scarlett know what you're doing*" he said.

*With Rose*

I peeked around the corner. Mr. Johnson was leaving in the late morning as usual. As son as he drove off I waited till he was out of sight so he wouldn't see me. I waited a few seconds and looked around to see if people were near. thankfully there was nobody around.

I ran to the house and went into the backyard. The back door was locked. I looked at the garage and saw a window. I climbed up some boxes that were next to it and broke the window with a hard rock. I moved any extra loose glass away and climbed through the window. I fell through but landed on my feet. The garage was dark and the whole house was silent. I checked around the garage but there was nothing here. I didn't know how much time I had but I opened the door leading in the house, not noticing a fresh batch of red roses in a vase sitting on a table...

*With L and the others*

They saw Scarlett break in the house and look through the garage. She then went in the house and went through the furniture and papers. "*Ryuzaki, how does Scarlett know that this guy could be hiding something.*" Mr. Yagami asked. "*I don't know. She randomly told me all about him and she recently found out that he killed six other girls. Scarlett wrote down their names.*" L said handing a paper to him with all the victims names. "*I don't know why she thinks Mr. Johnson killed those six other girls. I've looked up each of them and all of them said that there unsolved cases and no one knows who killed them*" L said while watching Scarlett. Light was quiet the whole time watching Rose hoping she would get out of there soon....

*With Rose*

I went through every room quickly and I still found nothing. I reached his bedroom- going through his drawers, closet, everything. I was about to leave the room until my foot stepped on a loose board in the floor. I crouched down and used my nails to be able to pick the loose board up. I lifted it up and and reached my hand in there to find something. I pulled out a small notebook. I kept the loose board up in case I needed to put it back.

I opened the cover and started turning to the first page. I jumped when I heard the front door closed. Mr. Johnson was home....

*With L and the others*

The others watched Scarlett go in his room and frantically search through everything. She found a loose floor board and opened it. She reached in and pulled out a notebook. Matsuda looked at a different screen and saw Mr. Johnson parking in the driveway. "*Guys! He's home!*" Matsuda shouted out. Everyone saw and grew worried. "*Ryuzaki get her out of there!*" Mr. Yagami said frantically. "*I can't. We don't have a communication device.*" L said. "*Fool! Then call the police!*" Ukita yelled. "*Even if we call the police then we won't see if this man really is a murderer. And Scarlett would be arrested for breaking in the house.*" Everyone turned back to the screen and saw Mr. Johnson enter his house. He went in the kitchen. Their eyes drifted back to Scarlett who started going through the pages.

Each page had the same victims that were written on the paper. Each page also had their name written in, pictures of them, even a lock of their hairs. "*The six victims are the same in that notebook*" Matuda said casting his gaze to the paper to the notebook. They then saw 'Allison Richardson'. Also pictures of her and her lock of hair. They looked back at Mr. Johnson who hadn't moved from the kitchen. It looked like he was thinking. Did he knew someone was in his house?

They looked back at Scarlett. She turned the last page and it shocked everyone. At the top of the page it said. 'Rosalita Hart' and below were familiar pictures of her. A picture when she went to Light's college, her when she went out with Light on the date, and other pictures they recognized. There was even a rose petal taped onto the page. All that was missing was a lock of her hair. "*Rosalita Hart?*" Ukita asked. Everyone now in the task force knew Rose's real name except Light who knew for a while.

Their eyes went to Mr. Johnson and he headed to the garage. He opened the door and they grew more nervous. Mr. Johnson saw the broken glass and went back in the house. "*Oh my God! He knows she's there!*" Matsuda yelled panically. The others got more nervous and frightened. They looked back at Scarlett and she slowly put the board down. It was deadly quiet. As Scarlett was almost putting the board down, it slipped and made a small 'tap' noise.

The others heard the tap and lightly gasped and stood cold. Mr. Johnson broke into a run and ran upstairs! The others got shocked looks. "*Get her out of there!*" Sanami yelled. "*Call the police now!*" Mr. Yagami yelled out. Watari started dialing. They saw Scarlett take the book, open the window with a struggle at first, and jumped out just when Mr. Johnson entered the bedroom. Scarlett rolled down the roof and hit the ground on her back. She gasped for air and Mr. Johnson ran back down the stairs. He came out of the back door and just on time, Scarlett immediately got up and ran from him. The others held their breath when they watched Scarlett being chased from Mr. Johnson.

He was two feet behind her. Mr. Johnson then tripped on a loose bush root making him fall. Scarlett ran faster and by the time Mr. Johnson got back up, Scarlett was already far up ahead and still running. Mr. Johnson breathed out angerly and went back in the house. The others sighed in relief. They watched Mr. Johnson quickly pack his things in a bag. He then got in his car and drove off somewhere.

Light didn't care about watching what happened with the man. He ran out of the room and headed outside of the headquarters. He reached outside and froze when he saw Rose running in his direction. Light ran up to her and tightly embraced her, stopping her from running inside. Rose was breathing hard from running so fast. "Scarlett, don't ever do that again" Light said worriedly and almost sounded like he was about to cry. "I'm sorry Light. It's over now" Rose said breaking the embracement. Light saw the notebook in her hand, then looked back at her. Light embraced her again and Rose let him....

pic of Mr. Johnson -->