28➵ Drowning under dresses

It was still in the early hours of the morning when the sun was still dusk and the air was cool and hazy

I was deep into sleep when I heard voices around me. "Rise and shine," I heard a rather cheerful italian female voice say. "Get up sweetheart— lots to do," another said and I groaned in response, not evens relating to anything going on.

I stayed asleep though not finding evens half a good reason to get up. "Athena. Abbiamo abiti da trovare." Who I know recognize to be my aunt Franchesca shouting at me in Italian, but im left complete lost.
(We have dresses to find.)

The fuck—

"What dresses?" I groggily ask, half asleep still. There's a silence in the room, I pear my eyes half open to see them staring at me down. "You don't know...?" Aunt Linda asks sounding confused herself.

"Know what?" I mumble flopping on my stomach like a fish, "it's your mafia ball," Franchesca said and I almost almost shot up from my sleeping postion.

"My. What?" The stare at me like I've grown to heads and I'm very slow in life. "You know... your introduction ball to the mafia. All our strongest allies will be there. Pretty much every other mafia will meet yo—" Linda said talking to me like I was new to English.

"Yes. I know what a mafia ball is," I said pointedly. "But since when was I having one?" They seemed stuck on the question, "Since... now," Franchesca said with a smile in her voice that I groaned to.

"Non posso credere che i suoi fratelli non glielo abbiano mai detto," aunt Franchesca shouted to Linda. "Lo so, che idioti," aunt Linda sighed, and they went back and forth in Italian shouting curses . I got lost so I made the smart decision of going back to sleep.

(I can't believe your brothers never told her)

( I know, what idiots)

I rested my eyes and sighed feeling droppy. But when I started feeling sleepy again my blanket gets ripped of me and my eyes shoot open.

Evens before I look I feel there eyes all over me. My droppy eyelids flit up to see them staring at my bandaged ribs. They seemed speechless but I came up with a good lie for them.

"I fell. Last week, small accident really," I say confidently keeping my composure when really I'm a ball of knots strung  tightly together. "You sure?" Franchesca hesitantly asked biting her bottom lip, while Linda tried to touch it but I discreetly moved away.

"Positive," I said keeping a straight face, "...right," they both said not so discreetly looking at my injury again.

I eyed them waiting for them to say something else, "beh, fuori fuori—abbiamo dei vestiti da provare." Franchesca said shooting me out of bed, I couldn't help but laugh and nod my head.

(Well, out, out we have dresses to try on)

"Bene... bene," I said breathlessly. "Si, down in 30," Linda shouted as she made her way out the door and slammed it shut. I flopped on my bed taking in a huge breath of air.