𝐓𝐄𝐍 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐧

༻✦༺༻✦༺༻✦༺

Lightning hit the tree at noon, and the rest of the day was slow. They hadn't seen or heard anything from the Careers, so they remained on the beach, getting a few sponsors that contained food.

Koa wasn't exactly sure how Beetee with his wire could get the lightning to blow the forcefield encasing them, but she didn't question it, trusting him. 

Finnick and her mainly spent the day conversating with one another, reminiscing old times, and also slightly making fun of one another for not admitting their feelings any sooner. Johanna stepped in a few times to do that part.

As the day passed, they did a few water runs with the spile, but soon enough, they could see the sun going down. Beetee gathered them all again for a quick discussion.

"Get your stuff together, the sun goes down soon so we should get moving, we have about three hours before the lightning strikes." Everyone nodded, grabbing their things and getting a move on to the lightning tree.

Walking on the beach, Koa and Finnick's hands were interlocked. 

"What if this doesn't work?" Koa whispered to him, and he directed his attention down to her. They seemed to communicate through their eye contact they shared, knowing they couldn't speak aloud about the plan.

"Let's just hope it will, alright?" Finnick gave her a reassuring smile, and she returned one to him. The alliance traveled through the jungle, Johanna cutting down any vines in the way of them. Koa held her spear in her free hand and Finnick held a trident in his, keeping a look out in case they were ambushed.

The thought of failure sat in the back of their minds though. If Beetee was somehow wrong, and he wasn't able to break the forcefield with this plan, only one person would make it out alive. And they both knew it wouldn't be either of them.

Even if they alliance did break, nobody would be able to kill one another. Koa wasn't so sure of the two newer victors they were protecting, but she knew she couldn't get herself to kill Johanna or Beetee. 

The thought of Finnick dying was a horror in her mind, a nightmare she wouldn't be able to escape from. The thought of not speaking to Finnick, never hearing his voice ever again, the sense of calmness it gave her.

The group heard a bunch of water collected together and a wave crashing, so they knew it was now around ten o'clock. They had two hours left to attach the wire to the tree and 'run it down to the water'. 

They made it to a giant tree that had a small open area around it. Assuming this was it, everyone took a look around, trying to make sure they weren't be spied on. Beetee soon got to work, wrapping the wire around parts of the tree. 

Finnick and Koa sat watching him, they knew the time was coming, and they just hoped through it all, they would still be together. Koa watched Katniss and Peeta sit together, the two seemed a lot closer.

When the 74th Hunger Games was going on, she didn't believe for a second they loved one another, and she thought the entire marriage was bullshit as well, which it was. But the two needed to prove it to Snow to stay safe, but still in the end, they weren't.

She thinks Katniss forgot she was supposed to be pregnant too, but she shrugged it off. 

"Okay, I need you two to take this all the way down to the water. Make sure all of it is in, then run back into the jungle. Don't get caught on the sand." Beetee rolled out the wire to Johanna and Katniss, but Peeta and her shared a few looks.

"I'll go with them as a guard." Peeta said. Koa looked to the blond, knowing damn well he was about to start arguing. 

"No no. I need you here to protect me." Beetee replied to Peeta.