Chapter 33

Maddox POV

8 years ago

(Warning, strong language, violence and scenes some people may find upsetting)

I splash cold water on my face and then raise my head to look at myself in the mirror, not recognising the person that was looking back at me anymore, this person looked pathetic, and weak.

I looked like shit, again, all because of that fucking asshole throwing a bottle at my head.

Pixie was going to kick my ass once she saw my face.

There was no way I could go to the hospital and pay for this, and I've learned enough to know that once the police start showing up, it'd only get worse when they leave, who knows how long I'd have to crash on friends couch this time.

Without Pixie, I really would've killed that man who calls himself my dad, long ago, but because one day I want to marry that girl, I have to stay strong, and stay out of prison long enough to land myself something big and get the hell out of this place.

Fighting, my whole life has been one big fight, it's in my blood and if I have it my way, it'll be the last thing I do when I die, it's all I've ever known and it's all I've ever wanted to do.

Make it big, make money for Pixie and give her the life she's always wanted, take her out on a proper date, none of this cardboard pizza shit, a real date, it's the least I could do for everything she's done to me.

Then maybe, just maybe, I could get her the help she needed, and we'd be a family.

I knew it was wishful thinking, Pixie was her own woman, and wouldn't let me hold her down, and while she encouraged me to be free, she held a grip on me nobody else had.

Once I left my rundown house, I jog out to my backyard and climb the fence that separated my yard to Pixies, I knew she'd be home because her folks weren't here, but down at the bars getting drunk with my old man.

Her house was disgusting, with food that had been left out for weeks, and bottles half filled with something that definitely wasn't alcohol, as it had a strong stench coming off from it.

Today could be the day it all ended, today I could take her away from all this, and finally we'd both be free.

I found Pixie in her bedroom, and when I laid my eyes on her I stomped over to her and whacked away what she was holding in her hand.

"W-Wha-" Her wide eyes land on me, then the needle on the floor. "The fuck did you just do, you asshole!"

Pixie stands up from her bed and slaps me hard across the face, with a face I've seen so many times, before her sour face turns soft, and she looks at me with guilt in her eyes as she reaches out and presses her palm to my cheek.

"I-I'm sorry Maddox... I didn't mean to, I just need it to feel better, my head hurts..." She said softly to me as I moved her hand away from my face.

"You said you'd stop; you promised me Pix." I sighed, as she grabbed hold of my t-shirt, desperation in her eyes before they turn hard, and serious as she looks at my face.

"What happened to your face?"

I shoved her off me and stepped back, then I ran my fingers through my damp hair. "It's nothing, I handled it."

"As soon as I get the call, I don't have to put up with that low life anymore, I can finally get us out of here, Pixie." I said to her, as she looks at me with furrowed brows.