Chapter One

I picked up the last box and shuffled into the room. I put it down at the edge of my bed. I couldn't wait to start unpacking everything and getting settled into University. I was just grateful that I made it all the way here.

The room seemed clean enough, but I still would need to do a bit of cleaning. I got the bag with all the cleaning supplies and put them onto the bed. Where is my mom? She should have been back by now.

I peeked my head into the hallway and she was walking down the hallway holding a gift bag. It looked like a present instead and I started thinking of what it could be.

I honestly had no clue, because I haven't asked my mom for anything new. I waited for her in the dorm and held the door open. The hallway was quite busy with everyone moving in themselves.

"Ma, what is that?" I ask.

"Open it up and see," She says.

She hands me the bag and I take it from her. I put it on the bed and looked in the bag. Everything was wrapped and I pulled out a long square-shaped box first. I started to pull off the wrapping and the box was white with a computer.

"Holy shit," I gasp.

I took off the wrapping completely and it was a Macbook Air. I needed a new computer for school, but I was fine with my current one. I hugged my mom and she hugged me back.

"Thank you, Mom aww I love you so much," I smile.

I kiss her on the cheek multiple times and she laughs hugging me back. I can't believe she bought me one, especially since they are so expensive.

"Open the next one."

I put the Macbook to the side and opened the next gift. I opened the last gift and it was a framed photo. It was a photo of my dad and me. I have never seen this photo before of us together. He was holding me up to the camera and I was guessing I was about two in the picture.

"I found it when looking through some old boxes I thought you would want it," she said.

I stared at my dad and I hugged the photo to my chest. I wish he was here to see me and see how far I have made it coming all the way here.

"He would be proud of me," I said.

"He would baby, that's why I'm so proud of you," She sniffles.

I put the photo down on the bed and I gave her another hug. The tears pricked my eyes and we held each other for a while. We pulled away and I wiped away my tears.

"I'm going to be so worried about you, you can call me anytime alright, if you need anything tell me."

"Ma, I'm going to be fine," I say.

"I know, but mi baby ah grow up."

I loved my mom, she is my day one since my dad died. She always had my back no matter the situation. However, call me out on my mistakes but that is her job.

"I will always be your baby ma," I replied softly.

She nodded her gently and her eyes were still fresh with tears. I patted her head only to cheer her up. It was a habitat of mine and she screwed her face at me.

"Gyal tek yo bludclart hands-off mi head," she snaps.

I stop patting her head, then put my hands up in a surrender position. She wiped away her tears and she stopped crying a few seconds later. She began to point her fingers in my direction. Here it comes.

"Now listen to mi likkle gyal, mek sure you behave yourself, focus pan yo grade dem," she told me.

Whenever she spoke to me in her Jamaican accent, I knew she was serious. My mom never really played around, when it came to my education. I was grateful for that, but wished she would lay back sometimes.