Chapter Sixty-Two

Gray held my hand as we sat in the waiting lobby. I had to wait to see my own mom which was full of bullshit. I didn't even know if he was okay or not, I was originally pacing around. Gray made me sit down next to him. I rested my head on his shoulder, not even sure how to feel.

I was scared and nervous. I didn't want to hear that she was dying, because if she was dying, then I don't know what to do. I needed my mom, because she was the only parent I had left. I don't talk to my other family much, so it was just her. I don't even talk to my half siblings.

"Iris King."

I got up immediately and I went over to the nurse that had called my name. Grayson held my hand as we followed her. She told me that my mom had injured her hip, so she had a hip fracture and this would cause a lot of mobility changes. She would need a caregiver to help with her recovery and what her next steps are.

We entered her room and she was sitting up eating jello watching something on the Tv. I let go of Gray's hand and I went to hug her. I wrapped my arms around her and she hugged me back.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see obviously, I'm not about to stay at school knowing your hurt ma."

I kissed her cheek and I moved away from her grabbing a chair, pulling it closer to her. She looked past me and I turned my head to look at Grayson. I looked back at her.

"Who you be? One of them people that ah-."

"No, ma, this is Grayson. Remember I told you about him, he's one of the guys I'm dating."

"Jesus christ, what possessed you to bring him here? What mek you tink mi still alright with dis bludclart relationship. If mi hi-."

"Oh calm down, your hip is literally fractured. You have bigger worries than who I am with and he's here as my support. He isn't going anywhere, so you're going to have to accept that he's here mom."

"No I don't. He'-."

"Nice to meet you Denise, I'm Gray."

He stepped forward and he put his hand out. She looked at his hand and pressed her lips together, looking him up and down. I gave her a you better be nice look and she rolled her eyes.

"Whatever, Iris baby, can you go ask one of the nurses for another Jello please?"

"Sure ma."

I got up and I hoped I could leave Gray with her. I touched his arm slightly and I left her room. I looked for a nurse that would be able to help me.

***
Grayson

It was just the two of us in the room and I sat down in the chair that Iris was just sitting in. We stared at each other for a little bit, unsure of what to say.

"So, what do y'all want from her?" She asked.

"Nothing," I answered.

"You don't want anything? I'm about the same age as the other one, men like you want something from girls like Iris. What do you want?" She repeated.

"We really don't want anything, but the best. We just wanna take care of her and spoil her," I replied.

"You want to take care of my baby? What happens when you hurt her?" She questioned.

"We don't want to do that. The only way for our relationship to be over is if she wants it to be."

"What do you do for a living?"

"We own a few clubs and Elijah works at UCLA," I answer.

"Let me get this straight. Elijah works at the university, how many other girls has he taken advantage of?"