10.<3

Stella stared at her phone. It was 8:32 p.m., and the boys should’ve landed by now. Judging by the way Stella’s leg was bouncing underneath the table she was gaining more nerves as the seconds ticked by. Her whole day was like this, sitting at the local Starbucks with a constant replenishment of caramel lattes and cinnamon swirl coffee cake at her fingertips.

She came here frequently to write and on a day such as this Stella didn’t know what else to do. She stared at the open word document and then the next, then the next; she must’ve had at least 8 windows open just for her word documents alone. Next to her was her trusty dream journal; it was unbound from its simple twine and lay open. The pages were filled with every dream she had been having. It wasn’t surprising that the last few pages were filled with Liam.

Liam at the lighthouse.

Liam at the beach.

Liam at an amusement park.

Liam.

Liam.

Liam.

She reached over to her journal and ran her fingers over the pages and took a moment to remember each dream. She didn’t even realize that she was smiling when she reached the last written recollection. Stella was convinced that something was up with these dreams but nothing seemed to make sense. She wanted answers, but what was she supposed to do?

It didn’t seem right to tell Liam right away that these dreams were infiltrating her, creating a disturbance in her dreamscape and lingering into her daily life. The last thing she needed was to scare off One Direction by being that overly-delusional fan that is practically foaming at the mouth.

Stella’s ringed fingers pressed to her face and ran over her cheeks. Holding her head in her hands she looked around the Starbucks and then back down at her phone. Of course there was a twitter notification on it; she had been anticipating it since Liam’s tweet that morning. Her fingers slid along the cool glass of the phone and she watched as the message appeared.

“Direct Message from @Real_Liam_Payne: @Stella_McB what’s your number, love? It’ll be hard to meet up without it! Haha, we’re here!”

Stella swallowed hard upon reading the message; he wanted her number. She couldn’t even remember what her phone number was! All she could think about was the loud and somewhat painful thuds her heart was making against her ribs and chest. Stella carefully set her phone down and stared at the computer screen as her hands moved right into their home position and quickly began typing.

It was a silent night in Starbucks; the baristas all knew Stella and knew that when she got her game face on that no one was to intrude on her, unless of course it was to make another latte. Stella’s fingers gracefully tapped each letter with such conviction, each held a purpose; a smaller cog in a much larger machine that ran effortlessly.  It was truly remarkable how quickly Stella wrote when the mood struck her, and this night it did. She blamed it on the nerves, she blamed it on Liam.

Liam!

She looked at the clocked and realized it was nearly midnight. She had ignored his message and now he probably thought she was a complete flake. She quickly saved her work and closed up her laptop knowing that soon the coffee shop would be closing and she hated being yelled at by the baristas if she overstayed her welcome.

After packing everything up she pulled up the message again to Liam and sighed deeply as she began typing again, these words holding more guilt than anything.

“Direct Message to @Real_Liam_Payne: I’m so sorry babe! I was writing and lost complete track of time. Text me if you’d like, I promise to answer 619-982-9999.”