27.<3

There’s something about being in a hospital that just makes the hours bleed together. The nurses work shifts that are well over 12 hours long, the doctors cycle through on a schedule, the sun sets, then rises but no one makes a fuss about it. Niall, Harry, Zayn, Louis, Liam, Eleanor, and Perrie could attest to the draining nature that being in a hospital has on you.

Over the past few days they had been rotating throughout the day at Stella’s bedside. Liam stayed there constantly, only going home to shower and sleep in the evening when visiting hours were over. Every night he dreamed and it lacked one key component: Stella. He remembered what Kelly said about making things right in the dreamscape, but he didn’t know how to get there. He wanted Stella there to explain to him what it was that he had to do, but she never came to him in sleep.

The worst part about leaving the hospital every night was the endless parade of cameras and people asking about Stella. Needless to say, her story exploded quicker than Liam could control. The headlines were everywhere…

Liam’s Payne’s Girlfriend Hospitalized

One Direction’s Spoiled Vacation

Stella: The Modern Day Sleeping Beauty

Has Payne Gone Crazy for a Crazy?

Stella’s story broke out and no one was safe from the questioning. It didn’t take long for the world learned about Stella’s condition and sad story of the parentless author from San Diego who struggled silently for years. The stories ranged from painting Stella as a martyr for those who suffered from mental illnesses to demonizing her as a lunatic who required 24 hour psychiatric care.

It didn’t matter to Liam and the group how well the stories were written. They were writing about a woman who couldn’t control her disease, who needed a cure. They had no right to make her a character for their own gain.

The only comment the band ever made was on twitter. They knew they couldn’t control the media, but they knew they could help the fans understand. Each boy tweeted a simple hashtag and no more.

#StrengthForStella

None of the stories or paparazzi could keep the band or the girls from visiting. They kept coming, arriving early in the morning and staying late into the night. They wanted to learn and support Stella, even if Stella didn’t quite remember them the next day.

Kelly picked up extra shifts in order to be close to her friend and care for her the best way she knew how. Kelly’s advice was shared with the group on how to treat Stella when she became childlike, lethargic, or overly aggressive. They also did their best to keep Stella active when she was awake. Kelly admired how each pair would bring in something different to get Stella motivated to stay awake.

Eleanor and Louis would play games with Stella; they really only saw her in a childlike state and took the opportunity to play games like Sorry and Trouble. They loved the way Stella’s face lit up when she won, which was every time since they always let her.

Harry and Niall would let Stella draw on them with magic markers, allowing her to use their skin as canvas. She would laugh and giggle when they would draw on her, giving her little hearts and stars along her arms. This always agitated Kelly who would wash them off at the end of the day when Stella slept.

Perrie and Zayn would sing to Stella. Kelly offered the pair Stella’s iPod and showed them a specific playlist that Stella put together for times when she relapsed. The pair would sing them to her, Liam accompanying them on guitar. They found that music was the best medicine for Stella when she got overly aggressive.