12.<3

“She’s ignored all your calls?” Zayn asked as he fiddled with the cap of a water bottle he was drinking out of. His brows were knitted and he shook his head, saddened to hear the story that Liam was telling him. The rest of the guys were out surfing by the time Liam woke up and Zayn had stayed behind to sleep in and take advantage of his vacation time.

“And my texts,” Liam added, “I don’t know what to do.” He sighed sadly and hoisted himself up to sit on a stool in the kitchen opposite of Zayn. The beach house’s kitchen was immaculate; black cabinets and counters with stainless steel appliances. It was shame it wouldn’t really be used while they stayed there, but it made for a good place to talk. Liam looked out to the large window that sat in the dining room, watching as the waves continued to lick the shore in the distance.

 “I say you just let things play out, give her a day to chill out. I’m sure she’s just a little upset and maybe tomorrow will be better.” Zayn assured his friend as he drank from his water bottle. He hated seeing his friend so down especially after seeing his head in the clouds the night before.

Liam rubbed his face and looked over his fingertips to see Zayn’s concerned face looking back at him. “She hates me, Zayn. I’ve never stood up a girl before.”

“You’re being too hard on yourself, Liam!” Zayn interjected with a laugh. “You just flew across the globe to be here! You are tired, we’re all tired. Jet lag is horrible!” Zayn shook his head and drank down the last of his water. He replaced the cap and began to twist the bottle in his hands, forcing it to create an air pocket. As the plastic crunched in Zayn’s grip, he continued talking.

“You really like this girl, yeah?” He asked and waited for Liam to respond with a nod, “And she’s worth all this, yeah?” He asked again, the plastic still wrung tightly in his hands. Once again Liam nodded, his face drooping like a flower without sun.

“Then you will find a way to make it work, you hear me mate?” Zayn asked as he gave the bottle one last twist causing the cap to burst off the top and fly across the counter to hit Liam square in the chest.

Liam’s hand clung to his chest where the rouge cap had hit him, groaning he keeled over the counter and bobbed a bit. “Dammit, Zayn!” He cursed as Zayn laughed at his expense against the refrigerator doors.

Zayn let Liam wallow in his flesh wound before he stepped forward again, “Eh, I got an idea.” Zayn said excitedly as he caught a look at Liam’s arm.

“If it involves projectiles or explosions I’m not going with you,” Liam grumbled, his fingers still pressed to the sensitive part of his chest.

“No, no. Nothing like that.” Zayn shook his head and leaned forward, “You in?” He asked curiously.

Liam stared up at Zayn and figured that he probably wouldn’t hear back from Stella that night. It was best to enjoy the night and try again with Stella tomorrow. Hesitantly, Liam nodded and Zayn’s lips broke into a smile.

After eating breakfast alone Stella was in no mood to go to work. She had a hard time gritting through each phone call that Liam would make to her. His name would stare at her, taunting her, teasing her as she sat in her bed wrapped securely in a blanket. She had texted her friend and let her know that Liam had stood her up at the Mexican restaurant. Needless to say her friend was in disbelief.

As Stella’s phone rang again, she growled angrily at it before seeing that it was her friend she picked it up.

“Hello?” Stella mumbled.

“Hey, it’s Kelly.” The other voice said softly, “You okay, Ella?”

“Yes,” she spat.