Seven is the Number of Heaven

-x-

They want to say that they remember their childhood, but that would be a sour lie. Neither of them do, for one reason or another, seem to remember much of their younger years. Sometimes, they'd get a flash of a memory, but they can't be sure if it was real or the creation of a dream they had. Other times they'd hear a voice— very distant and muffled, but it's there. Neither is sure if they were just hallucinating stuff out of the life they had after.

Their planet was forgotten too— Destroyed, someone had told them. They were taken a very long time ago, taken and held down and beaten to submission. All of that was a blur, and neither really wanted to remember it anyway.

They remember their first owner, however, how could they forget? They remember being scared and someone trying to calm them down— trying to prepare them for this new world they suddenly found themselves in. They didn't want to go, but they didn't want to stay either. They didn't belong anywhere they went regardless.

A first.

It went on like this for years. And while sometimes it wasn't so bad, it never stayed peaceful, not with their thoughts anyway. Sun and Moon used believe they are likable and lovable, and if not, then not hated. But this mindset was burned to ash not so long after their fourth owner. Perhaps they weren't as likable as they thought— not as important nor talented. What were they good at that may benefit those who decide to own them? Nothing, they found out. Nothing that anyone would take them in for. Sun was to be said they were too annoying and Moon too withdrawn. These quirks didn't help, not that either of them could control it.

A second and a third.

Years went on, time doesn't wait for anyone. This was something Moon feared. Wasting time. Not being fast enough. Failure. They became even more withdrawn, more closed in, and ignorant. They didn't want to listen, the noises were too loud— anything started to make them jump— flinch— jolt. Coldness crawled in, and heavyweight held them down by the neck. The more time they waste, the worst. One day they'd grow too weak to do anything— one day they wouldn't be able to even stand.

Then, their leg broke. Moon thinks they broke more than that. And when they no longer felt it hurt, they knew they had waited too long to do anything. It was already too late.

A fourth and a fifth then a sixth.

Sun wasn't any better. Their optimistic self only seemed to drag them down. They raise their hopes up so high that, when they break, it falls harder. Anxiety began to crawl in. Uncertain about any and every move they would make— were they too loud? Too energetic? Too annoying? Were they a burden? They are a burden, it was obvious to the naked eye. But maybe! Maybe that wasn't it! Who knows, perhaps one of those days something good would happen! Yes, of course. Why wouldn't anything good happen? Oh, so many questions. But people's words hurt, they always have something mean to say, wouldn't they? Their words always have a double meaning that they sometimes miss.

Anxiety seemed to gnaw on them the same they do when they drag dull claws over their thighs to control such flinches— jolts— gasps. It was harder to keep steady and not move. When people whisper, Sun always has this feeling it is about them. Did they do something wrong? Were they to be punished? When people fight, Sun believes it is because of them— would they be angry at them too now that their mood is bad? Keep the peace. Keep the peace even if they can't breathe well. They're fine. They'll be fine as long as they stay quiet. Right? Quiet quiet quiet. Stay upright and alright and they'll be invisible enough!

And then, their leg broke, staying upright was no longer an option— staying hidden isn't either. So pathetic and weak and can't even walk— how did they gain this much attention? The leg hurt so much— it was Sun who was host when they fell, they vividly remember. They were present when the man threatened them with that taser. They were there and moveable as he cornered them near the window. They were able to hear Moon say something as they pressed further away. But Sun felt like they weren't there when they finally breached the windowsill— the moment they felt air brush against them and everything turned upside down.