I Think I Lost Something

-x-

The shelter. How come it sound like something safe when it was completely the opposite?

Day in and day out. They all blurred into something that's hard to swallow. Months? Years? They didn't know. Did it matter?

They had to count.

Whenever a new owner comes to purchase them, a countdown will happen— at least, to Sun and Moon. A week till the new owner could take full responsibility for them.

One week left; seven days.

Then four.

Then two.

Then, the owner might cancel, or reschedule their arrival. So, it rewinds to a week again.

Seven days.

Five.

Then four.

They keep counting. But counting doesn't make it better— no, it makes it worst. Who counts for the day they'll be taking away? A day that isn't gonna be pretty? It's a hazard of emotions to have whenever they scratch a new day off, waiting and anticipating everything.

How bad will their new owner be?

Like the one before? Worst than it? Better?

No, it can never be better. They lost the hope for that. It repeats and Sun and Moon started to hate change.

Were they too dramatic for not being able to handle it? Did the other slaves think the same? Was it fair at all to want help?

They don't think they can handle this...

-x-

Mrs. Anderson wouldn't leave them be.

"Why are you walking behind me? Come here." She says— ordered. It isn't like she wanted them to walk beside her, she just wanted her friends and coworkers to see her as someone different— special. That she is so kind to those pitiful creatures. It made Moon sneer, but who is he to say anything at all? He'd risk harming himself and his counterpart too...

What a shame.

They don't listen, they just keep walking behind her as she led them to the room where they'd take a shower and be put into a new gown— to be ready for their owner. Their shorter legs weren't as fast as hers, especially with how hungry they felt. So weak and hopeless, following her to their torment like a love-sick puppy.

The flooring is cold against their feet.

The washing rooms were colder— the water was freezing. They'd have a few minutes to rinse themselves— a luxury after having their hair so greasy like that. But it was too cold they didn't want it anymore— it was so cold they barely got under the dripping water. And with their new clothes, a gown that barely keeps them warm, they were ready to go.

It felt... like a joke, how they have to clean up like so for someone who wouldn't be kind to them...

Perhaps they were a joke.

Moon wanted to snicker, but cut himself off before it turned into an ugly sob.

They were so, so tired. And, for the hundredth time this day, they wondered how bad their new owner will be.

Letting their legs carry them, Sun and Moon didn't dare hope for the best.

-x-

You sit the-now-clean Sun on the edge of the bed and put the extra towel over their head, preventing water from dripping on their face.

"I'll go kill the candles, give me a second—" You start but Sun cuts you off.