Successful Restlessness

-x-

If you were to be honest, you'd admit that you may have been thinking of a plan to make Moon doze off.

It was supposed to be something simple that Moon wouldn't get too suspicious about— like putting on a movie or reading him a book. It was just a taunting thing on your heartstrings with how tired they looked since you retrieved them from their room. You were hoping that maybe they had gone to sleep last night, but the ever-growing dark circles under their eyes are enough evidence against that.

So, when you remembered the rain outside, you decided to take that to your advantage.

It worked. The plan worked before you even started it.

It... shouldn't have been this easy. Not to say you are complaining! But with how stubborn Moon was about sleep, you couldn't help but be surprised when they dozed off not half an hour of sitting outside.

Shifting the coat, you hid them more out of the rain as the wind picked up pace. Little droplets had already made a mess over your porch with mud and damped both of your hair. Moon's hair became slightly frizzled up with thin locks sticking over their forehead as they slept heavily. The posture could not be comfortable, so you decided on heading inside again before the rain started to pour harsher.

Stepping in, you close the door lightly before slipping your shoes off. The rain made your skin feel tight, and you could sense mud lightly sticking there. The feeling made you cringe and you imagined Moon could not be any better, especially with his dislike of getting wet.

Walking to the couch, you try to carefully lay them down on it without jolting them up.

Maybe you shouldn't have looked a gift horse in the mouth.

Red eyes snapped open as a strangled gasp left the being just barely lying down— he shots up, almost hitting you on your forehead. A whine left them from the sudden flinch over aching muscles, voice just above a whisper. Moon, still having his hold on your shirt, looked around with glassy, wide eyes. And every time, their gaze seems to linger on something or another. Their breaths were becoming labored the more they did so, shoulders trembling as their hands tightened their hold.

You blinked in surprise, arching your back down the more Moon put weight to pull you closer, so you half crouch instead, planting a hand over their back as you speak, voice full of concern. "Moon? Are you okay, dear?"

As if now realizing your existence, Moon started to climb you up, desperately latching onto your neck. Their glassy eyes do not meet yours, they are too far off to be able to make eye contact. The act catches you off guard as you stumble to lift them up more properly, wrapping your arms safely around them as you felt Moon bury their face as close as they could against you, as if that would make the devil disappear.

Relenting, you ease down on the couch. Your hand patting over their back slowly, feeling your lips tug into a frown of worry. "Sweetheart, did you have a nightmare?" There was a noise of confirmation, and you took that as a yes, your heart tugging at you. "Do you want to talk about it then?" You ask softly, adjusting your hold over them.

Moon makes another noise, though, when they say nothing else, you take that as a no. Fair enough. Not everyone likes talking about those kind of things, especially not after they just woke up.

You hum, not slowing your movements up and down their back. "Well, how about we eat breakfast now?"

No response comes your way, nothing verbal at least. Though, you still felt Moon tighten his hold on you, whether as an acceptance, a refusal, or a plead to not leave him. You are conflicted about what to do next, so you just decide breakfast is better than none, and you begin to stand up. With Moon hugging you close like a koala, standing up is a little tricky with his iron grip, but you manage just fine.