Baby Steps

-x-

"Baby," you call, slowly kissing the other's soft cheek, and smooching them gently. "Wake up, dear."

If it was in your hands, you would have let them sleep for much longer, but the poor soul appeared to be having a nightmare, and you couldn't just ignore that. Moon rarely sleeps, yes, but you couldn't leave him facing such an intense nightmare like that... it had left them whimpering and moving around in their sleep, unable to keep still— from side to side they went, their legs kicking as if running from something.

"Dear," you call once more, your lips close to their ray as you whisper, "Wake up, sweetie, it's just a nightmare."

Moon whimpered, frowning in his sleep. He moved his head from side to side, as if shaking the feeling away. The little blue alien's eyes fluttered gently, slowly cooling down as their eyes opened. White irises dilated when they locked with yours, inhaling deeply as the nightmare crashed like a dead video game around them, reality sinking in.

Moon moved, sitting up and slowly wrapping his arms around you in a small hug. Their tiny arms embraced you softly, burying their face into your clothes.

Your hands caressed their cheeks, fingers rubbing at their rays to soothe them. "You okay, there, sweetie?" The small alien nods against your chest, feeling them rub in the crock of your neck as if to bury themselves completely in your hold. You felt their legs tighten around your waist, fully involving you in their embrace. And, suddenly, Moon gasps, looking upward at you as if that will give them an answer to whatever question they had. "Sweetie?" You call, cocking your head to the right in question.

"It—" they start, looking downwards slowly till their gaze met with the metallic limb that hugged you close. Their red eyes widened as the limb twitched, as if sensing the eyes on it. "It's... it's real...?" Their gaze traveled back at you, searching in pure desperation.

Your gaze softened. "Yes, dear, it's real." You soothe, planting a kiss over their forehead. "Wanna try it out?"

Moon stares once more, as if in a debate with someone else (probably Sun) about the concept. Hesitation was clear on their face, but they still nod. "Maybe...?"

You smile gently, hands coming down to hold theirs and tug them forward. Moon inhales sharply as their metallic toes touched the floor, the sensation almost unreal. It tickled their nerves, a feeling they shouldn't be able to feel. Yet, here they were, with a new leg experiencing the sensation for the second first time in their life. Balancing on their feet was hard, and Moon had to hold your arms for balance as you switch holding them by their armpits, seeing how shaky they were on their legs. He shook in both anticipation and joy, eyes trailing to look down on their shaky knees—one metallic and the other organic.

"You're doing great, dear." You praise, slowly tugging them forward. Moon stumbles, their right leg a little slow, but they surely still able to move it. It moved slowly, calculatedly, forward instead of keep dragging it behind them like before. "That's it, keep going, my dear."

Moon gasps as his leg finally settles in front of him, taking their first step in so long. He laughs breathlessly as he repeats the motion, holding into you tightly, being tugged forward by you. Red eyes traveled to look at you in bewilderment, a smile stretching their face the more and more steps they took, even when all their weight was held by you. It was slow and shaky, knees trembling and half buckling, but they still, with your help, took another step towards you, then another, and another. Their laugh became louder, joyful, and Moon finally stumbles down and into your awaiting arms, too tired to keep up but also too surprised.