Sunken

-x-

Avery, bless her soul, comes five minutes after DJ's departure, sitting the tray on the table beside the bed. Her smile beamed despite the mask over her mouth, wishing a great recovery.

Sun eats what he can, sipping the soup offered and drinking orange juice with it. Their stomach still felt floppy and sensitive, and Sun did not want to agitate it.

"I'll be right back," Nibbling on the food offered, Sun perks up at your voice, shifting red eyes to look up at you. You offer a smile, jerking your hand lightly in a wave. "I got a few things to do, I won't be late."

"Okay," Sun mutters back, taking a spoonful of his soup.

Sudden loneliness filled his heart the moment the door closed, as if blocking your comforting scent away. Sun is still shocked by how attached he became— ashamed that simple words and touches made him ache for more. Was it normal? Had people had these words and touches before, rendering them as a norm? The comfort felt like a trap, sweetened honey to capture unsuspecting flies. The feeling of being under cruel control was the norm, but now with its absence, Sun was more confused and distrustful than anything.

Not to say he doesn't trust you! He didn't think he could trust anyone like he did you, if he didn't count his other half. But it still felt surreal, a ploy to trick them for cruel amusement. But no, Sun knew you wouldn't. So why were his thoughts so scattered around like they were?

Shoving the food away, Sun takes hold of the IV pole, using it as a handle to help him walk. He still needed to use the bathroom— but he also needed to see the remains of his leg.

Taking the pole in shaky hands, Sun struggles to balance himself with such numbed limbs, before starting to half hop half crawl to the nearby bathroom. The pole's wheels creaked in his efforts, heavily dragging behind more than helping, but Sun didn't know how to safely detach the IV nor would he try.

Opening the bathroom door, bright light assaulted their eyes, earning a hiss from Sun and they smack their hand over the light switch. A comforting darkness fell over the room, not too dark, but not too bright either.

The door was closed the moment they got the IV pole in— a slight struggle, but they managed. Sitting over the toilet, Sun finally braces themselves to reveal the stitches where their broken leg was. Red eyes traveled down as their claws revealed an eyesore.

The stitches were neatly done and so were the laser closed areas. Poking from two sides of their flesh were what DJ had referred to— metallic outlets where a prosthetic could be inserted safely and strongly in place were installed.

Sun's breath hitched, drawing a shaky inhale from them as they traced a clawed hand over the implants. The feeling sent shivers down their spine, focusing on the absence of the pain they had endured for a long while. Their leg is gone, as if it hadn't impacted on them so much— it was gone. Instead, they are greeted with an absence as phantom pain prickles their skin, like little bugs crawling over their thigh.

Sun didn't like the feeling, and neither did Moon. Tears breached over their eyes but they never fell. A hell of its own, as they felt over the tender flesh.

How had they gotten to this point? How can it happen so agonizingly slow yet so fast? That didn't seem fair. Nothing seemed fair, not their situation nor their complaining. How must they be so selfless yet so selfish?

Huffing, Sun rests his face in his hands, shivers stiffening his shoulders in place.

A new chapter. He just has to tell himself that. A new chapter. It was okay for the paper to cut you if it meant switching to a new page— to start anew, some here better.