Caressing so Gentle

-x-

It wasn't that she was bad. No, not really.

Both of them knew they were nothing more than glorified pets to her, something she could show off to her rich friends and family, something she could use as her little workers whenever she didn't want to do something. But, she wasn't bad. She never used that device on them nor did she hit them. Her words stung more than they'd admit, but both would take that over the physical ones.

Mrs. Lawrence liked malls, it was why they were familiar with them. Her treks there always took so long and her bags of gifts and clothes were a ton to carry, so, she takes them with her. Sun or Moon would help carry them or take them to her car to empty the bags before going back and doing so again. It was no fun, those things were a lot heavier than they look sometimes, but they managed to do it regardless.

That time was no different. Mrs. Lawrence went to her favorite salon, the one manned by that Glamrock that they dared call a friend, so now they had to take everything she brought to the car.

It will take multiple treks to and fro, but they can do it, they always do. Taking the car keys, which they clinch into like a lifeline— if this thing got lost then they'll be in serious trouble, they start their work. First run was no different. They took everything in both hands and ran over to the car, put everything in, then went back up to the second floor to take the rest.

Roxanne's eyes kept locking with them every time they got back to take more in their arms as the wolf worked on styling their owner's hair. She was working slow, Moon had noticed, to buy them time so they wouldn't overwork themselves in fear their owner would finish and yell at them.

Sun flashed her a smile, albeit a little wobbly, as he came to take the last few bags. His breath was a little ragged but that was no new thing— their body wasn't the most healthy, so it made sense to them they'll get tired easily. They did this a lot more, so they're used to it.

Or so they thought.

Hopping from the escalator, Sun slowed down when he kept panting. Their legs were wobbly but he pushed in outside and towards the car. It was no different than any other time— the feeling of weightlessness and their racing heart over little things. Though, it was still annoying, if you'd ask them. They were fine! No little running would make them that tired! It was ridiculous.

Reaching the car, they shoved everything inside and in place before closing it, heaving a sigh.

It was night, as always, the time their owner liked to go out. People wandered about, not looking their way at all, everyone knee-deep in their own bags and awaiting their taxi. Sun walked back in, feeling lightheaded. Something felt like it squeezed their heart, a shudder went through them. The feeling was unpleasant and Sun was forced to take a rest on the side beside a shop.

They wouldn't take long, promise! Just a small rest so their racing heart and breath would slow down.

A few seconds turned into a minute. A minute turned into two. Their breath kept getting faster.

Two turned into five and Sun tried getting themselves to stand, only to have their legs give up on them and force them to sit again. Panic began to seep in, not wanting to take too long. Ooh, their owner is probably finished by now! They'll be in so much trouble if they got too late.

Trying to keep their breaths slow was fruitless, they no longer can control that. Their chest heaved faster and faster, sweat gathering over their forehead and neck. It was becoming harder to even stay sitting, and Sun started to shift around, wanting a position that'll keep them upright.

Were things always this dark? The mall was always bright, so why did the lights suddenly feel dull?

Shaky hands kept touching their face, a move that they weren't sure why they were doing. Maybe out of anxiety, or maybe of how hot they suddenly felt.