Big Cars, Small Cars

-x-

Sun stared at the motorcycle before him with a raised eyebrow, confusion all painted on his face like daylight. His crutch held him up, legs slightly shaky—he should have known not to overtire himself by racing behind the small police car in the mall...

Their trip had taken just another half an hour before they reached a clearing. Just beyond that, trees could be seen in the distance, a beautiful small forest of sorts, even when he couldn't see it that well from so far away. Right here is where Max had told them to stop, however, and Sun hadn't been even more confused at what he's seeing.

There wasn't anyone around except for a few people, much to Max's delight. They said something along the lines of: "More space for us!" A thing Sun still didn't fully comprehend but was too shy to ask about it, so he just followed behind, looking around the clearing of sand, snow, and tiny rocks. It was so spacious, stretching beyond what the eye could see, and at the beginning of it, were four-wheeled motorcycles...? It smelled heavily of oil, that Sun could tell...

He went to stand beside you, watching the other three choose a vehicle—Ellen didn't care, apparently. Max wanted the fastest. And Amelia enjoyed the pink (albeit dirty) one.

The blond tugged at your sweater, gaining your attention immediately as you looked down at them. Sun didn't know how to voice his question per se, so he just avoided eye contact and looked back at the other three siblings, who were choosing a helmet fit on their head. "... Why are there motorcycles here?"

Sun felt your gaze leave him to look up at your siblings, as if debating something. You hummed, "Well, they aren't motorcycles, they're quad bikes." You start. "And they're here so people could ride them."

"... Why?"

"Haven't you tried them before?" You ask instead.

Sun shook his head. He didn't think he had seen anything like them before—sure, he knew motorcycles, but not... quad bikes. And he didn't exactly understand why people would ride them for fun. It just looked... dangerous, and truly not fun. Perhaps just a waste of time.

That's what their owners would say.

"None of us really knew how to ride one either at the beginning," you say, watching as Ellen finally found a helmet that fit him while Max had already sat on their seat, waiting for the guy handling the activity to power on their bike while they fixed their yellow helmet in place. "It's pretty easy, you just get used to it more the more you drive it. And, oh! See there," you point towards a smaller section of the bikes, which, as Sun followed your finger, could see smaller visions of the bikes. "Those are the ones we use when we first tried them as kids, they're easier to control when you're new to the thing."

Sun frowned, then jumped slightly when a roar could be heard. He snapped his head towards the sound, rays twitching at the noise, and watched with wide eyes as Max let out a cry of joy as they pressed the handle to the maximum—the tires drifted on the sand and snow before the bike jerked forward with a surprising amount of speed. They laughed like a crazy, old man—cackling loudly as they sped up away, their voice being carried by the chilling wind. He could see Ellen shake his head like a disappointed father.

"Would you like to try?" You ask next, leaning down to look at their face. "You don't have to, but it is pretty fun."

Sun's frown deepened. No, he didn't think he wanted to. Well, a part of him wished to try the new thing, but another still screamed that they didn't deserve it—didn't deserve this "fun" as Max made it seem to be.