Angel of My Heart

-x-

The times at the shelters were always unpleasant. It wasn't bad, not as bad as some of their past owners were, but bad enough that they wished they didn't have to stay there. The rooms were always small and dark and cold, suffocating in a sense. They could see injured and traumatized creatures so alike them yet different— though, still as locked and helpless.

Helpless. A feeling they grew to have— it stung deep that their weaker bodies were no stronger to save them if push came to shove. They could be stepped on like little bugs with no remorse.

With helplessness came hopelessness, another feeling that kept them awake at night, wondering what it was all worth. Wishing for something better was no longer in their head— they didn't believe they'll get better. There was no place to hide even if they could run, the collar on their neck will ensure that.

Hopeless. Tightness made their chest ache bitterly. The hard and cold flooring of their prison didn't help at all.

"You know your rights." The guard of the shelter would say, whoever was on patrol, anyway. "It isn't much, but you have to know them." She speaks like she knew how bad their lives will be once someone purchases them, and, even if she was speaking in a low almost soft tone, she made no move in doing anything to help. She knew they'll suffer, yet, she tries to act like the good guy here. They knew she wasn't, she only acted nice to appear empathetic towards her coworkers— and, while she wasn't bad per se, she wasn't good either. Sun and Moon wished she would stop acting with that mask on her face.

Mrs. Anderson was a whole perfect woman, at least, that's what everyone viewed her as. She always offers to help, though, only when someone was watching. That fake pitying smile she wore kept getting on their nerves, though, neither could say anything. At least she got them something from time to time, even if it was for onlookers than their sake.

She just never cared.

"If your owner hurts you severely, you can always report them. They will get a warning— a second time will get you free from their ownership." She continues, not meeting their eyes. Her look wasn't genuine. Though, at least she didn't torment them. Neither were sure which one is better... "Any act that doesn't bring you much harm isn't going to be reported— so like punishment if you did something wrong, sickness, harsh work, or sexual acts. Unless any of those get severe, then you don't have the right to say anything."

They blocked her out under a heavy cloud of hopelessness. Her words didn't matter— they didn't mean anything. Their rights? Now they have rights? Now they could say something for their own sake? Cruel. They knew no one will do anything either way.

Mrs. Anderson's words faded into nothing.

They knew she'll say something bad about them because they weren't listening— something along the lines of them not appreciating her kindness.

They held each other tight, even if just in their headspace. Their consciousness blurring together to find the little bit of comfort in such a cold place.

They wished for her to shut up.

The way she spoke like that made them sick— a reminder of what they'll ever be.

Hiding their face into their knees, they loathed her being here and watching them being so miserable, but they had no energy to try otherwise. They never had any at all.

What a shame.

-x-

"Sun?"

After breakfast, you couldn't help but look at how... dirty they were. No offense, really, but they were still covered in dried mud and blood.

You looked them over, snapping Sun from whatever trace he was in. Their eyes stared into nothing for a little while now— remembering something, maybe. Though, the solemn look that painted their face told you it isn't a good memory.