Crumbs

The holidays were quickly approaching and my moms been asking if I'll be coming home to spend it with her and my brother or with Brittani. 

The verdict is still out, Brittani has been MIA not that I'm complaining. I'm actually elated that she found love, like what we used to talk about under the the 6th form gazebos when we should have been doing our pure math and physics lab reports.

 Weirdly I thought both of us would have been boo'd up by now, doing doubles and giggling about our mans. 

I sighed, shaking off my thoughts, quickly stopping the elevator at the ground floor to get out before it started its upward journey again.

 Lost in another endless thought, the same ones I've been unwilling entertaining, I checked my period tracker I saw I was only a day short of starting another one. I hated having irregular periods. 

I shake my head and quickly made my way across the courtyard towards my last exam. With exams underway and nearing the end soon, fewer ppl were out and about, silence coating the courtyard, tense and restless waiting for the last exam bell to signal that the ruckus can start again.

 I was glad for the silence even though at any moment that could change, the gentle noise that covered my hall, hearing soft music blaring from one window and friends quizzing each other for their exam that's some hours away in the next, it felt domesticated. The stark difference to the head banging shit that started the school term. 

The infamous tent looked daunting as I drag my feet, trepidation starting to settle in. I was confident about this exam but the melancholy air that seem to hover around the tent tried forcing it's way in. I took a deep breath and followed the others in.

Some hours later

I stepped out from under the tension that the tent seem to give off, shaking off the the feeling, the students spilling out around me, voices mingling, some excited and others with stronger emotions. 

I breathe a sigh of relief, having been glad that I was finished with this exam and all the others from over the last couple of weeks. All my exams were back to back, which i didn't mind since it meant that I was finishing exams earlier than others, giving me enough time to figure out where and who to spend the holidays with before we had to move off hall.

"Look like yuh fuck up exam' I heard to my left.

 I haven't seen Mikel since the classroom incident, only  glimpses in the exam that we shared together and he was on the other side of the building. Fifteen minutes left into the exam, he was the only one to leave that early.

 I half thought he was avoiding me. I was still puzzled over the emotions I saw in his eyes, something elusive at the moment but felt important. I was too afraid to find out what it was.

"It never bad" I shrugged. Academically I never had a problem but I was humble enough not to brag whenever I got compliments. 

"Know yah bright sparks stills, beauty and brains wid a killa waist" he grinned. 

Did.. did Mikel just flirt with me? I was unsure on how to react because up on till now, we danced around each other, not quite strangers and just a bit shy of acquaintances. 

"Jeez u nuh haffi luk so shock, a nuh luk mi a luk yuh" Mikel rolled his eyes, a playful smile danced on his lips. I was mildly surprised and the relief that course through my body at his admission. Something to think on later.

A moment later, his movement became suddenly agitated. He stepped back away from me  as I heard another approach to our two man party. Whoever it was, I knew Mikel did not consider a friendly, base on the stiffness of his face, his jaw clenched very tightly.