Blue Blood

The Guardians placed Yondu's body on a table and surrounded his body with flowers, candles, and the little trinkets he liked to collect. Peter placed some small bands around Yondu's face and eyes. Once he finished, all of them stared at his body for a few moments.

"I told Gamora how when I was a kid I used to pretend David Hasselhoff was my dad, then I told Neyzira David Hasselhoff actually was my dad." Peter said in a low voice. The others looked up at him, confused. "He's a singer and actor from Earth, really famous guy." The others nodded as Peter continued. "Earlier, it struck me . . . Yondu didn't have a talking car, but he did have a flying arrow. He didn't have the beautiful voice of an angel . . . but he did have the whistle of one. Both Yondu and David Hasselhoff went on kick-ass adventures . . . and hooked up with hot women . . . and fought robots." Peter said and he gulped back a sob as he continued.

"I guess David Hasselhoff did kind of end up being my dad after all. Only it was you, Yondu. I had a pretty cool dad. What I'm trying to say here is . . . sometimes that thing you're searching for your whole life . . . it's right there by your side all along. You don't even know it." He looked down at Yondu, Gamora looked up and saw Nebula walking away, Gamora went to follow her sister.

"I am Groot." Groot said, softly.

"He did call you twig." Rocket replied, tearfully.

The table glided across the room and to the burner to turn Yondu's body to ashes. The others began to leave, only leaving Peter and Kraglin alone. "Pete!" Kraglin called out as Peter looked over at him. "Captain found this for you in a junker shop. Said you'd come back to the fold someday." Kraglin said as he walked up to Peter and handed him a small device with earbuds attached to it.

"What is it?" Peter asked him.

"It's called a Zune. It's what everybody's listening to on Earth nowadays. It's got three-hundred songs on it." Kraglin said.

Peter was taken aback, his eyes widened. "Three-hundred songs?" He asked in shock. Kraglin nodded began to walk away before Peter spoke again. "Wait." Kraglin stopped and turns to face him. Peter pulled out Yondu's fixed arrow and handed it to Kraglin. "Rocket grabbed the pieces, and reassembled them. I think Yondu would want you to have it." Peter said and anyone could tell Kraglin appreciated it as he took the arrow.

Kraglin looked up at Peter, trying not to cry. "Thanks . . . Captain." Peter smirked and nodded at him as he walked away.

Peter sat down on a bed, staring at the Zune. He fiddled around with the music player until he settled for the song 'Father and Son' to play.

It's not time to make a change
Just relax, take it easy
You're still young, that's your fault
There's so much you have to know

Find a girl, settle down
If you want you can marry
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy
To be calm when you've found something going on
But take your time, think a lot
Why, think of everything you've got For
you will still be here tomorrow
But your dreams may not

Peter felt something climb on him, he looked down to see Groot was climbing onto his lap. Peter give a small smile as Groot held his hand and helped him get onto Peter's knee. Peter handed one of his earbuds to Groot, who held it close to his own ear, that way he could listen too.

After a while of listening, Groot looked up and pointed out the window. Peter looked out toward the window and saw a bunch of ships coming toward them. Peter stood up and took the earbuds out, putting the Zune in his pocket.

Neyzira suddenly ran in, her arm holding onto the top of Peter's doorframe. "You look outside yet?" She asked, Peter nodded.

Peter, Groot, and Neyzira went down to meet the others as Rocket spoke. "I sent word to Yondu's old Ravager buddies, and told them what he did."

"It's a Ravager funeral." Peter replied as the ships began to fire out fireworks and Groot climbed up to Gamora's shoulder.

"He didn't chase them away." Rocket said.

"No." Peter replied.

"Even though he yelled at them. And was always mean." Rocket said, then looking down, depressed. "And he stole batteries he didn't need."

Peter looked down at Rocket to see his head was hanging low. "Well, of course not." Peter said to him. Groot reached out toward Drax and Gamora handed him over. Drax picked him up as Groot yawned and fell asleep against his shoulder. Drax began to pat him and rock him to sleep. Gamora looked up at Peter, who looked back down at her curiously "What?"

"It's just . . . some unspoken thing." She shrugged.

Peter gave her a small 'I told you so' look before Gamora wrapped her arm around his waist while Peter wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Neyzira sent Peter a smirk from the other side of him and the two fist-bumped with his free hand.

"It's beautiful." Mantis softly spoke, staring at the fireworks.

"It is. And so are you. On the inside." Drax said. They all continued to watch the fireworks display as Yondu's ashes formed into the shape of his arrow and floated away.

A WHILE LATER

Neyzira flung the door to Groot's room open and angrily stared at him, now an adolescent, sitting on his bed playing a game. "Groot, where's my book?!" She angrily asked, he didn't reply. "Groot!" She shouted, louder this time.

"I am Groot." Groot replied.

"Yes, you did! Give it back!"

"I am Groot."

"Don't be shocked when you find pesticide in your dinner!" Neyzira angrily growled and kicked the door frame in anger, making some wood debris fall from the ceiling. "Dick!" She scoffed before storming off, bumping into Peter on her way out. "Move!" She barked at him.

"Attitude," Peter murmured in annoyance, walking into Groot's room. "What did you-?" Peter was immediately disgusted by the roots and vines everywhere. "Ugh, dude! Seriously?!" He exclaimed, Groot was unbothered. "You gotta clean up your room. It's a complete mess."

"I am Groot." Groot replied to him.

"I am not boring. You're boring. You know what's boring? Sitting there, playing that mind-numbing game." Peter shot back. "What's boring is me tripping over your vines every day! I'm not boring!" He shouted at Groot as he kicked one of his vines aside.

Groot, still playing the game, spoke in a mocking tone. "I am Groot."

Peter shook his head. "And now I know how Yondu felt." Peter said with a sigh as he left the room.