chapter 20

"Where are we going?" I ask him.
"Ice cream?" He asks and he smiles when he sees my face light up.
"Yes please. Id love to." I say. "But Lan. We really need to talk. I don't want things to be like this between us." I finish.
"I know. Me neither. I'll try my best to make you understand okay?" He asks and I nod my head.
After a 10 minute drive we arrive at a cute small ice cream shop.
"What are you getting? O no." I say.
"What?" He asks confused.
"We can go somewhere else if you want. They don't have chocolate mint ice cream." I say.
"You're kidding! That's criminal tbf." He says making me laugh. "I'll grab something else haha it's okay." He says.
"Really? I wouldn't do that." I admit.
"You would make me drive to another ice cream shop if they didn't have your favourite flavour?" He asks frowning.
"Definitely. But they have it, so lucky you." I wink at him before we both laugh.
"Bonjour puis-je vous aider?" (Hello, can I help you?)" the women behind the desk asks us.
"Oui s'il vous plaît, elle voudrait une boule de noisette et une boule de stracciatella." (Yes please, she would like a scoop of hazelnut and a scoop of stracciatella.) He says pointing at me before continuing. He quickly thinks about what he wants. "Et la même chose pour moi s'il vous plaît." (And for me the same please.)
I quickly shift my head towards him when I hear his order and he laughs.
"I'm trying hazelnut because it's your favourite flavour and you're trying stracciatella because it is one of my favourite flavours." He says.
"Okay, but don't complain when it becomes your new favourite flavour." I say.
"Same for you." He answers and we wait for our order.

"You love it. I can tell by the way your eyes just got stars in them." I say at him.
"You are so stupid." He says making us both laugh.
"I'm happy we're hanging out again. I kinda missed you." He admits which caught my attention.
"So am I." I smile. "I'm still kinda mad at you tho."
"What why?" He asks confused.
"You don't talk to me about anything even though you know you can." I say not looking at him.
"I know. I'm sorry, really. I wanted to I just didn't know how. I didn't want to be a burden to you." He says.
"You're not a burden to me. Look you don't have to talk to me about private things because that's not my business if you don't want it to be, but if it is work related and it affects your driving than I really need to know Lando." I say. "How is the sleeping going?" I ask.
"Not good. You can tell, I know you can. I don't know what I can do about it. I listen to music, I drink tea or hot milk and I don't take naps during the day anymore. My driving is not becoming dangerous or anything just bad I guess." He says and I'm glad he is finally talking.
"What is the reason you can't sleep you think?"
"I don't really know. I just do a lot of thinking."
"About what?" I ask him.
"All kinds of things. Racing, the car, the team, social events. Every uncomfortable situation I go through keeps me busy at night."
"This might sound really stupid." I say kinda asking him if he wants to hear my idea without actually asking him. He nods his head so I continue.
"What if I stay in your hotelroom for the day? Don't worry not in your bed, but what if I put my bed in your room." I ask laughing at my own idea. So does Lando, thank god.
"What?" He asks confused but laughing still.
"Maybe sleeping with someone in the same room keeps you out of your head because you have company. When I'm alone I start overthinking too, but if someone is with me my mind is busy with that particular person." I say. "I know it sounds stupid and I understand if you don't want to do it haha but-" I get cut off again.
"Let's do it. I'm out of ideas honestly, stupid ideas are 9/10 the best ideas." He says making me laugh.
"How cute, we're having a sleepover like two best friends in high school."
"Work besties!" He says making me cringe.
"You are such a dork." I laugh and so does he.
After talking for a bit longer we decide it's time to go back to the paddock and finish our work day. It was a long and hard day but we got through it. We talked about the article the whole day to the team, interviewers and other teams. We talked to Zak and he said that everything would be back to normal tomorrow. At 9.40pm we finally get back in the car.
"That was the quite the day." Lando says before connecting his phone to the car.
"Tell me about it. I might fall asleep while driving haha." We wait for Max to come back from collecting his stuff.
"He doesn't even work here, why does he always take so goddamn long?" I ask Lando.
"I honestly don't know. Maybe he secretly fancies someone in the paddock." We both laugh. We listen to some music and after a short 10 minutes Max finally opens the door and gets in the backseat.
"Is it safe or are you guys screaming at each other again?" He asks seriously.
"Ha ha" Lando responds sarcastically.
"Nah we're doing great actually. We haven't screamed at each other for 6,5 hours. Be proud." I say laughing.
"O I am proud. I'm glad you're acting normal again. You talked about everything?" He asks.
"Depends on what you mean." Lando answers and I quickly look at Max in the mirror. He didn't see.
"Pierre and stuff." He answers and I sigh. He finally looked up at me through the mirror, giving me the chance to give him another bitchy look.
"I guess not." He says.
"Mood killer." I hear Lando whisper underneath his breath.
"There's not much to say honestly. He started acting weird after our first date so I thought he wasn't interested, but today when I went to grab a coffee I ran into him and he apologised." I say looking out the window.
"What? Why didn't you tell me?" Max asks.
"Because you were going to tell me I needed to blow him off." I answer.
"You didn't blow him off?!"
"Not at first. He seemed really sorry." I answer and I look at Max through the mirror, who is trying to make eye contact with Lando. Lando tries his best to ignore him tho. There is definitely more going on here.
"What is going on?" I ask looking at Lando.
"Mmh?" He responds acting like he doesn't know what I'm asking about.
"Why were you looking at him like that Max?" I ask.
"I was just looking at him. Why do I need a reason to look at him? Maybe I was just checking if he was sleeping during driving." He answers and I roll my eyes.
"I'm texting Pierre." I say grabbing my phone out of my pocket.

After I texted Pierre, we arrived at the hotel

After I texted Pierre, we arrived at the hotel. I grabbed the stuff I needed since I was spending the night at Lando's and Max's and walked over to their hotelroom.
"This is so exciting." I say laughing.
"Im sleeping in your room too. Ill feel left out if I don't." Max says and Lando and I laugh.
Max and I make our beds while Lando goes into the kitchen to grab some drinks.