chapter 36

I've been sitting in the hospital for 3 hours. I haven't been able to see Lando yet, because they had to do a lot of tests.
Max just called me and said he is on his way to the hospital right now.

"Hey." He says hugging me. "How is he?" He asks handing me a sleeping bag. I smile as a response. "I figured you wanted to stay with him." He smiles.
"I don't know. They sent me to the waiting room as soon as we arrived. I've been sitting here for the last 3 hours. Somebody might come out soon I hope." I sigh and sit down again.
"I put a book in there." He says and I hug him.
"Thank you so much."
"I uhm I need to call Aaliyah." He says and I madly look over at him.
"Don't start, I'm begging you."
"She's still his girlfriend y/n. She cares about him in some sort of way."
"Really? Then where the fk is she Max?! If she actually cares about Lando, she would've been here! Apparently she doesn't even watch his races, that's why she's not here. We both know that she only cares about attention and being with Lando will give her the attention she wants."
"Look I understand y/n, but I'm obligated to tell her. I'll call her right now." He says and gets up.
It disgusts me. That's all I can say about her.
"She's coming over." Max says while sitting down. I lay my head down on his shoulder and close my eyes for a quick Power Nap.

"Where is he and wth is she doing here?!" I get woken up by a hysterical women nearly screaming in my ear.
"Hello to you too." I say lifting myself up from the chair.
"Stop playing and answer my question!" She yells and I calmly rub my eyes, not being intimidated by her.
"He's in there. We haven't gotten an update for the past 5 hours. You can't go in tho." I say.
"5 hours?! Why did nobody inform me?!"
"If you cared enough about him, you would've seen the crash on tv. The fact that you know nothing about the races your boyfriend drives weekly is completely on you." I say and get up to get a doctor.
"Excuse me." I say and a sweet looking nurse turns around smiling up at me.
"How can I help?" She asks.
"I've been sitting in the waiting room for the past 5 hours and I was just wondering if I could finally get an update on a patient." I say and she walks over to a desk.
"I'll see what I can do for you. What is the patients name?"
"Lando Norris." I say and she turns some pages.
"He's stable, but still not fully awake. We've gotten a small response twice, but it was only a small finger movement. We're not sure if he can hear what we're saying yet, but we're sure he'll fully wake up again."
"So he's in a coma? For how long?"
"No it's not as heavy as a coma, but you could compare it to each other somehow. We're not sure for how long he'll be in this state. The patient really decides his own timing. Talking to him and physical touch, think about holding their hand, will help a lot." She smiles and so do I, relieved that he's in a better state than I thought he would be.
"You can go in if you want." She says and walks away after. I walk back to Max and Aaliyah and announce the 'good' news.
"Someone can go in." I say and Max immediately stands up.
"Sorry but I call dibs." He says and I laugh.
"That's okay. Go." I say and so he does. I sit down and grab my book out of my bag.
"What's the bag for?" Aaliyah asks and I just ignore her, not wanting to talk to her.
"Don't think you're staying here, because you're not." She says and I turn my head to hers.
"That's not for you to decide." I say.
"Don't test me." She says and I just simply laugh.
Max walks out of the room and tells Aaliyah to go in. She does and Max sits down next to.
"I'll talk to her." Max says and I look up from my book.
"There's no point. It's okay, I'll visit him in the morning." I say.
"No you're staying. I'll tell her that only one person is allowed to stay and that it has to be you because Zak insists on it. She doesn't have a clue about what's going on in his career life, so she'll never find out it's a lie." He says and I can't help but laugh.
"You're an evil man." I say and lay my head down on his shoulder again.
"His family is arriving soon. I suggested that I would pick them up from the airport and drop them off here. It's okay for you to stay. They're very easygoing and lovely people."
"I bet they are." I smile at my own comment.
Aaliyah stayed in the room for a while and came out a while after Max left to the airport. Max went in there before he left and he said that Aaliyah was mad of course, but she apparently agreed.
"I have to go. My boss called me. I don't know when I'll be able to come back." She says while I think texting someone.
"Are you kidding me right now?" I say standing up to match her height.
"What? I can't just drop everything all of a sudden!" She says and I am too shocked to respond.
"If you truly love him, you wouldn't even be thinking about anything else but Lando right now." I sigh and just decide to spit it out, she's probably too stupid to understand anyways. "At least I'm not." I say and she puts her arms over each other.
"What are you saying?" She asks lifting her eyebrow.
"You know what I'm saying." I respond before my eyes meet Max's who's standing in front of Lando's family.
"I don't want to see you here when I come back." She says and turns around to walk away.
"Close your eyes when walking in then!" I yell after her.
Max and Lando's family walk up to me, but without a second thought I just turn around and walk to the toilet.
I lay my hands on the counter and look at myself in the mirror. I look like a zombie. Well I haven't slept for about 16 hours, so I'm not really surprised. I hear a knock on the door.
"Y/n? Can I come in?" Max asks before quietly opening the door after.
"I don't know what to do with myself, Max."
"What are you talking about?" He asks confused.
"I think I just told Aaliyah that I love Lando. I mean I told her in some kind of way. I think?" I ask Max but also myself. I look at Max through the mirror and see him smiling.
"I have 37 missed calls from Charles and he will not stop texting me." I say and turn around to Max.
"You have to talk to him eventually and you know that, y/n." He says and I sigh as a response.