chapter 40

It's been 4 days since the fight with Charles. I haven't left my house at all and I haven't spoken to anyone. I received quite some texts and calls but I just ignored them.

I read the text messages and scoff when I read Lando's

I read the text messages and scoff when I read Lando's. Does he really have to rub it in like that? Okay fine, you don't like me back, but you can show some sympathy man. I pull myself out of bed for some breakfast, but I am faced with an empty fridge. I let out a frustrated breath and walk into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I put on my uggs after and grab my car keys to go to the store.
I listen to my sad playlist and sing along.
When almost there, I have to stop for a red light and omg I think my heart just stopped beating for a second. Why do these things only happen to me? And how the hell is it even possible? I looked over to my left and see Max in Lando's McLaren with Lando in the passenger seat. They look just as shocked as me, but probably for a different reason.
I haven't been sleeping at all, so I look like someone from the walking dead. All I did was cry, so I have puffy eyes that take like 12 hours to go away lmao. I didn't do my makeup or get changed into a normal outfit. Let's say I understand their reaction. I awkwardly smile at them and focus on the red light after. Lando rolls his window down, but I act like I don't notice. It feels like hours, but the red light finally turns green. I turn right and park my car in front of the shop. I practically run in there, because I don't want them to follow me. They probably won't, but im so nervous, I get all delusional lol.
I quickly grab everything I need and get back in my car.

Lando's pov:
"Lando we have to go! Physiotherapy is starting in 30!" Max screams as I'm doing my hair in the bathroom.
"I'm almost done!" I answer.
I walk out and put my shoes on when Max is already standing at the front door.
I've been home for 3 full days now and everything is going perfect so far. I've been making a lot of progress and for now all the appointments I've had have been good with all good news. If I keep up the good work I'll be back in my beautiful McLaren for 2023 testing in Bahrain. The Singapore gp just finished, so I still had to sit out on a lot of races, but for now I'm happy that I know I'll be getting back eventually.

"Have you heard from her?" I ask Max.
"Nope." He sighs and stops in front of a red light. I look to my right and my mouth almost falls open from shock.
"Speak of the devil." I say and Max turns his head as well. Now both shocked by what we see. I can see her sing along to her playlist and I can't help but smile. My smile fades away when I notice how tired and sad she looks. It breaks my heart.
Out of reaction she looks to her left and is just as shocked when she sees us. She awkwardly smiles at us and immediately takes off when the red light turns green.
"Go home." I say to Max.
"What? We can't. This is important Lando." He says and turn my eyes on his.
"Not as important as her. If we don't wait for her at her door, we're not gonna be able to talk to her anytime soon. She won't open the door when we knock, so we have to wait for her to come home." I say not changing my mind anytime soon.
"And what are you gonna say?" He asks and I turn away. Max does drive to her house tho.
"I don't know." I answer.
"That you love her?" He says and I look back at him.
"I can't."
"Why? I know that you do."
"Im in a relationship with Aaliyah." I respond.
"Yea well, if you would open your eyes for once, you would see that she's in a relationship with herself. She doesn't care about you, mate." He says and I secretly know it's true.
"She does. She just cares for me in her own way."
"When she left the hospital a week ago, she said she would come back in 3 days. She's on vacation Lando." Max says and every word he said was right.
"Modelling job." I say looking out the window.
"Don't make me laugh. She's sipping pretty looking cocktails. You have to break up with her and I know that you secretly don't want anything more than that, I just don't understand why you won't."
"I know Max, I know. I'm working on it okay? I want to break up with her, I'm just trying to find a moment. When she doesn't visit it's hard to have a conversation like that and I definitely am not doing it over the phone."
"Whatever you say." He sighs and turns left at a roundabout.
"And y/n?" He asks but I act like i don't understand.
"What about her?" I ask 'confused'.
"Do you love her?" He asks without thinking about his question twice. It's a confrontational question and I feel it in my stomach lol.
"Just drive to her house." I answer because I don't know what to answer. Of course I love her, I just know that I'm no good for her. I don't want to mess up the friendship we have and I especially don't want to mess her up. I love her and I wanna be careful with her.
I hear Max laugh, but he doesn't continue with the conversation. He doesn't have to, because he got his answer. He's my best friend so he can tell what I'm saying by just one look.

AAHH guys I'm so sorry for the long wait🥲 First of all, I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year's Eve!
I'm switching schools because I don't like the thing I'm studying rn and let me tell you deciding on what job I want to do for the next 40+ years has been stressful lmao. Anyways writing keeps my mind off of things so expect a bit more updates than usual!🫶🏻