1

My father used to control who I picked out to be my friends

My father used to control who I picked out to be my friends. He used to control everything in my life. Yet, my choice of friends was one thing I wasn't going to let him have power over me for. I let him choose my car, my schools, not going to college, and even my apartment. As long as I got far away from him, why the hell not?

Because even though he got to choose those things, I still had my friends to be there for me.

"Ok, girl I don't think I'll let you get bottomless drinks again this early." Scarlet helped me up the flight of stairs to my apartment, after an eventful dinner with the rest of the girls. "You are way too hard on yourself. Don't let that Marco thing get into your head, trust me the guilt will eat you alive."

Groaning, I pouted, "I want him to eat me alive. I don't think I ever experienced anything so mind-blowing."

"It was your first. You haven't experienced mind-blowing yet, trust me." She released my arms from around her neck and looked through my purse. "God if this buzzing doesn't stop, I'll get a migraine."

I wasn't sure what she was referring to until I saw my phone in her hand light up. In bold letters and an emoji right next to the name, spelled out Daniel. "Fuck. I forgot to call him back." Since Scarlet spoke of Migraine, I could feel one begin to kick on. The hammering pounds on my skull, only makes me want to lock myself in my room for the rest of the day.

"Are you going to tell him?" Scarlet asked.

I yanked my phone and my purse from her. "Do I need to tell him if I'm planning on ending things?"

She propped her hands on her hips and said, "Now what kind of ridiculous question is that? You need to be honest with him. You know what happened the last time you lied."

Yeah, I have the stitches to prove it. The hospital called my brother that night. I had to lie to everyone saying that I was drunk and clumsy. When in reality I was pushed down the stairs of the apartment and split my head open.

Scarlet and the others begged me to leave him then. I don't know why I was such a coward to not leave.

"I'll tell him. And I'll even mention I was out with you guys. Only if he asks."

"You know he'll ask." She replied. "Do you want me to stay with you? That way he won't try anything."

I grinned at her generosity and shook my head. "No, you can go. I'll be fine."

Scarlet kissed the top of my head and handed me my belongings. "Ok, I love you. Call me if you need anything. And I mean it."

I knew she meant it. One day maybe I would take her advice and truly call her when hell is on earth. For some reason, I feel like I can handle this. I'm aware I shouldn't deal with it on my own, though I feel like it's the only way I would learn. Learn to leave him and to know how I'm supposed to be loved.