23

For weeks, an unusual itch had been bothering me

For weeks, an unusual itch had been bothering me. Ever since I encountered Claire and Alaina at the club, my mind has been in turmoil. Claire, in particular, has an inexplicable hold over me that I can't seem to shake off.

There was something about her that made me suspect she might betray me. Moreover, after discovering Daniel unconscious in the pleasure room, I had to interrogate him about what happened to the woman he was with. Naturally, he denied any involvement. However, he did share some intriguing stories about Claire and Marco.

So, I spent weeks observing her. I analyzed her behavior, her routine, and the moments when she had free time. I admit, it seemed hostile, but I had my reasons.

I'm not one to easily trust others, but I believed I could trust Claire. Her bodyguard, on the other hand, not so much.

"I noticed you spend more time working out in the gardens than at the gym," Andreas remarked as I entered, drenched in sweat from a grueling workout. Lately, I've been observing Claire watching while painting.

"Does it matter where I go to get my daily dose of medicine?"

Andreas shrugged. "I suppose it's better than being at a club with some girl. Regardless, I did as you instructed."

Glancing at him, I inquired, "And?"

"And... I think you have every reason to doubt her," he replied.

I rubbed my chin, feeling a sense of dismay. To conceal the raging storm inside me, I forcefully bit down on my lips. Andreas had revealed everything I needed to know.

I refrained from speaking to her that day until Andreas actually witnessed these two being sneaky. It was only days after that he texted me before I arrived at the mansion, informing me that Marco had just left her room moments after my mother.

Summoning Claire to my office made me question everything. Our wedding is just around the corner, and I cannot afford any damn problems that she and Marco might cause me.

She entered my office wearing a different outfit I observed during my workout through her open window. From a dress, she now has on a plaid skirt and sweater that seemed to complement each other. Despite not allowing her to leave the mansion, she still dressed as if she had places to be.

She appeared hesitant when I suddenly called her. Her hands were folded in front of her, and her eyes wandered around my office. "You called?"

Lacking the energy to stand from my seat, I gestured for her to sit. She obeyed, waiting for me to speak. What was I supposed to say? Or ask? Andreas had witnessed Marco leaving her room as if it were a regular occurrence.

The thought of him being alone with her behind closed doors infuriated me.

"I had a friend," I began. "He was my best friend, someone I trusted. Someone I believed would never betray me or my family. From the moment we became close, I made it clear to him that I despise liars."