8

During my visit to Rocco's mansion with Caterina, I noticed that the mansion seemed too big for his small family

During my visit to Rocco's mansion with Caterina, I noticed that the mansion seemed too big for his small family. However, during dinner, I had the opportunity to meet the rest of his family. Apart from Rocco, his father Aldo, and his mother Caterina, there were two other men - Manuele and Andreas. As far as I can recollect, Andreas was a cousin of the family, while Manuele was a soldier similar to Marco.

They made note that there was another member who stayed here with his wife, a man named Nino, I believe. He moved out months back.

Before beginning my meal, I watched them bow their heads and pray over their food. I was at least smart enough to know I was supposed to do the same, even if my family wasn't one for religion. When I peeped one eye open Caterina caught me staring and I quickly glanced back down at my plate to avoid contact.

We finished eating what they call Osso Buco. When it came to food, my Italian traits were non-consistent.

"Alaina go get your violin," Caterina said to her daughter. Alaina gets up from her seat and walks out of the dining room and into the living area. Caterina turns to face me then Rocco. He sat across from me out of respect. "Claire, do you play?"

"I wish I had such talent. I'm more into painting."

Caterina smiled. "That's also amazing. I'll have to see your work one day."

Stifling a smile, I nodded in agreement.

Aldo clears his throat after tipping his drink in his mouth. "Let's get this over with shall we?" he stared at Rocco. "Have you asked her for her hand yet?"

"I plan on doing things at my own pace, father," Rocco replied. His voice was laced with harshness.

"What's the hold-up?" His mother budged in, which I'm noticing she does a lot of.

Rocco replied. "If I am to be married to her, you already know what I need."

Caterina shakes her head. "I already told you. This mansion is yours. It's your home."

"You want us to stay here under your roof for control and eyes. I won't allow that, mother."

"Give your mother grace, Rocco. You can have your own roof once this marriage is consummated." Aldo spoke, followed by me choking on my food.

Consummated? They can't possibly expect me to sleep with him.

I leaned closer to the table to put in my own two cents. "We haven't discussed ground rules yet." my throat ached just to speak my mind around this family, that I don't know anything about.

Caterina and Aldo have a look that I couldn't point out. Rocco makes a look towards Manuele and Andreas making them both smirk to the side. Rocco stood the moment Alaina came back with the violin in hand. "Well in that case let's go."