22

The night Daniel first touched me marked the loss of my strongest self - the one skilled in karate and taekwondo

The night Daniel first touched me marked the loss of my strongest self - the one skilled in karate and taekwondo. The part of me unafraid to stand up for myself. Perhaps if I still possessed that side, I would have refused Alessandro's forced marriage to Rocco. Even the self-defense classes Enzo enrolled me in seemed futile.

Breaking Daniel's gaze off of me, the girl on the couch said, "It's going to cost you extra if we bring a third into this. I'm not even sure she works for us. So she'll have to pay as well."

Daniel stepped back, grinning. "No," he said. "Claire wouldn't do that. She's not the type to engage in that. She isn't the kind to fuck at all. Though I hear otherwise. Should you even be here, Claire? I'm sure your fiancé wouldn't approve of you being around me, especially if he's present."

Asserting myself, I replied confidently, "He wouldn't." I raised my chin and moved away from the door. "Now, if you'll excuse me-" 

As I tried to leave, Daniel pulled me closer. His breath reeked of alcohol and an unfamiliar scent.  "Don't go just yet, please," he pleaded. His words almost sounded genuine, but I wasn't about to be swayed. Daniel tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and his hands found mine.

"Let me go," I argue. "You are touching the future wife of a Mafia boss. Let me leave and maybe I will let you out of this club without harm."

Daniel chuckled. "That's a clever one. You almost had me fooled. We both know that your feelings for Rocco are not genuine. You are still involved with your brother's soldier, Marco."

"That is none of your concern." I tried to break free, but his grip on me was too firm. He released my arms and wrapped his around my waist, drawing me closer to him.

"So it's the truth then? I wonder how your fiancé would react if he found out. I just had a meeting with him, I could easily have a private conversation with him about some concerns."

Daniel is well aware of the repercussions of revealing this information to Rocco. Not only would Marco be in trouble, but Enzo could also be implicated. I am unsure of Daniel's connection to Rocco, and the thought of him disclosing my secrets is troubling.

Daniel pulls me closer. "So, Claire, what will it be? Will you allow me one more night with you? Or shall I inform Rocco about you and your guard?"

"Regardless I'm sure you would have some sick satisfaction seeing me suffer. However, that will not happen. I will make sure to inflict more harm upon you before you even come close to me. Plus, I already told my fiance."

"You are a terrible liar, remember? That is precisely why I ended our relationship."  

"Ended things with me? Are you suffering from memory loss? If I recall correctly, I left you in a drunken state in Davie. In fact, it seems like you only pursued me to get closer to my family and cause them harm. Perhaps I should be the one to inform Rocco about the consequences of your actions."