14

I dodged yet another text from Scarlet

I dodged yet another text from Scarlet. Out of the rest of the ladies from our group, she has been the only one to ever check on me. I almost want to tell her to stop texting. I would have no substantial reasoning as to why I stopped talking to her. If I were to tell her everything, who knows the trouble it can get her into. Not only that but she would simply see this as something that only happens in movies. She may even think I'm crazy.

The wedding was fast approaching, and Caterina was determined to make it the grandest event of the year, putting her daughter's day on hold. I couldn't understand how she could allow her daughter to marry someone so much older and unappealing.

As we went through the preparations, trying cakes and selecting flower arrangements, I found myself trying on wedding dresses. Caterina made a remark about the weddings, making me and Alaina uncomfortable. Despite that, I couldn't help but feel beautiful in the dress I chose, especially when I noticed Marco watching me. I quickly checked myself and the bit of excitement I had for trying on dresses. Though it was always my dream to get married. There's no point in being happy, It's not like I am marrying Marco.

"I think the cakes are making me bloat a bit. Maybe this wouldn't be my ideal size." Alaina expressed concerns about her size to the tailor woman. 

Elizabeth moved her fingers in a circle, getting Alaina to twirl. "No, it shows your ass perfectly." She reassured Alaina.

"Which is more than enough reasonings to size up, darling. Girolamo doesn't like his woman to show curves and skin." Caterina interjects. "You are to be respectful to him."

We all looked at Caterina, probably wishing she was simply making a joke, but the look on her face declared other things. She wasn't kidding, and this Girolamo guy seemed peculiar.

"Gives me all the more reason why I should slaughter myself," Alaina's response, contemplating self-harm, shocked us all.

"Don't talk like that. Good things come from an arranged marriage. Look at Claire, she didn't want to marry Rocco. I'm sure she had dreams of marrying some other guy, but she is doing her duty to the Siena." Caterina continues.

If only she knew.

Elizabeth laughed. "That's because Rocco is attractive and bearable," she spoke up. "And I'm sure he's incredible in bed." Her whisper was intended for me, but I didn't catch on or care. I was too busy troubling myself about what Marco was on the phone shouting about.

"Everything ok, Claire?" Alaina caught on to my curiosity.

A small nod, I said, "Yeah, it's just my guard. He seems to be upset about something."

"Is he single?" Elizabeth grinned, reading between her smile it was clear what she was putting out. Alaina nudged her and told her to shut up. Caterina rolled her eyes and went to talk to the tailor woman, avoiding our conversation.