24

I never had the chance to say goodbye to him

I never had the chance to say goodbye to him. Deep down, I knew this was bound to happen. The way we were going about things, it was clear that we were on thin ice. I watched Marco leave the mansion against his will, under the influence of Andrea, who has been around a lot more lately. I have a feeling that he had something to do with all of this as well.

The last time I saw Marco, his eyes were filled with confusion. He had no idea what was coming, and I felt guilty for the trouble I had caused him. He didn't know if he was about to lose his life or lose me. I despise Rocco for his actions, his sick obsession with me, and the way he is just himself. Even if he thought that bringing his whore back to the mansion to provoke me would make me feel something, it doesn't.

As soon as I heard the moans coming from the walls of my room, I immediately called Marco. His voice was like a soothing melody, and I couldn't help but cry, longing to be with him in person. In the background, I could hear the bustling city and people talking.

"I'm sorry," I sobbed, my tears flowing non-stop since my conversation with Rocco.

"Don't cry, everything will be okay. We'll find a solution," Marco reassured me.

We had been saying that for a while now, but we still hadn't found a way out. Instead, we only made things more complicated for everyone involved.

"We can't," I whispered. "He will hurt you."

"He can't lay a finger on me, Claire. Not without causing a war within the Siena family. I'll meet you tomorrow, and we can discuss our plan to escape together."

"We can't do that, Marco."

"Don't say we can't. We can. I know I said we shouldn't in the past, but I refuse to lose you to him."

Wiping away my tears, I said, "I would rather have you alive and in love with me than dead, Marco."

"I would do anything for you, you know that," I confessed. "But we need to be cautious. He's onto us, I can feel it. If you stay in New York, please be careful. I want you to go back home, but I know you won't. Just promise me you'll stay safe and not try to come see me."

He let out a frustrated sigh. "I don't understand. How can you give up so easily?"

"I'm scared of him," I admitted.

"And that's exactly why I need to get you out of that mansion," he insisted.

Even if I ran away with Marco, I knew we would be constantly on the run. Rocco had an inexplicable obsession with me, and I couldn't bear the thought of Marco losing his life because of it.

As the whores moans got louder through the walls, I retreated to my closet, tears streaming down my face. This might be the last time we spoke, and there was nothing I could do about it. "I love you," I whispered.

Marco remained silent for a moment. "This isn't goodbye. I will see you again."

"Say it back," I pleaded.