19

Initially, I had intended to follow the instructions given to me, but that changed when I recognized the voices of Manuele and Andreas

Initially, I had intended to follow the instructions given to me, but that changed when I recognized the voices of Manuele and Andreas. Intrigued, I left the tranquil room and towards the foyer, following their voices. As I heard footsteps approaching too closely, I retreated and eventually witnessed something peculiar. The floors were stained with blood, with faint droplets smudged by a shoeprint. Despite Rocco's desire for me to remain where I was, fear and curiosity compelled me.

At that moment, I was uncertain of Rocco's motives for bringing me there, and that uncertainty still lingers. I decided to trace the path of the blood, which led me to the rear of the house. There, I discovered a concealed shelf adorned with various random decorations and uncovered books. With determination, I pushed against the bookshelf, revealing a door that concealed a flight of stairs.

Filled with trepidation, my heart pounded in my chest as I prepared to witness the unknown horrors that awaited me below. Despite my instincts urging me to retreat to safety, an inexplicable curiosity compelled me to investigate the source of the blood-soaked floor. What if there was a lifeless body down there? Or worse, if Rocco is hurt.

Descending the steps and venturing down a dimly lit hallway, I stumbled upon a partially open steel door, through which I could hear the voice of Rocco. Peering inside, my chest constricted at the sight of a man bound in a cage, blood oozing from his battered face and pooling on the tarp beneath him.

Rocco turned away from the man, Andreas was there and so was Manuele holding a knife. The man spoke words but I couldn't register what he was saying. Not until he mentioned Alaina and me in one sentence.

I noticed something switching off in Rocco, his humanity seemingly evaporating before my eyes, contradicting the image of the gentle wolf that Alaina had described.

In a swift motion, Rocco seized a knife from Manuele's grasp and mercilessly thrust it into the man's throat. I stifled a cry, my hand instinctively covering my mouth, as the man gurgled blood and Rocco withdrew the blade, crimson liquid staining his hands. The scene was awash with an overwhelming amount of blood.

So much blood.

Fear gripped me as I instinctively moved away. My mind wandered, causing me to slip on the blood-soaked floor and collide with the ground, hitting my head in the process. Suddenly, Andreas appeared, rushing towards me, and I couldn't help but let out a scream. In my panic, I lashed out, kicking at him. Memories of Daniel flooded my thoughts, intensifying my terror and causing me to scream even louder. However, when I saw Rocco approaching with blood-stained hands, my fight instinct turned into flight, and I sprinted away.

Outside, I desperately hoped that Rocco wouldn't pursue me. Frantically, I dialed Marco's number, but he didn't answer, just like that night when I reached out to him for help after Daniel's attack. I felt lost, unsure of my whereabouts. Minutes ago, I had scaled the gate to Rocco's estate, and now I aimlessly wandered, allowing my feet to guide me. Perhaps this was my opportunity to escape, to leave this life behind and take Marco with me.