26

We planned to be out of the hotel suite the next morning

We planned to be out of the hotel suite the next morning. So-called for a wedding and honeymoon. I waited for Rocco to be done with his shower before I took mine. As I walked out of the steamed bathroom, I wrung the water out of my damped hair. Rocco regarded my presence and handed me a cup of coffee. "Good morning," he greeted, then turned away with his cup in hand.

Puzzled by the unexpected gesture, I peered into the mug, noticing it was browned. He had added cream, just the way I liked it, and upon taking a sip, I realized he had added the perfect amount of sugar.

I had anticipated my words from the previous night to sour his mood or make him ignore me. To my surprise, it had the opposite effect. "Thanks," I said. The sudden sunlight streaming in made me marvel at the view outside. With the brightness of the day, I could appreciate the suite more than I had the night before.

"When are we leaving? I would like to sit on the balcony for a while."

Rocco didn't make eye contact with me. Facing away from my existence, he said, "I plan on leaving in thirty. You can go ahead."

Nodding, I walked out. The windy spring air hit my skin. For a second it felt like I was back at home. The only thing that would make this hotel experience better, would be to see the oceanfront from hear.

My phone went off for the second time this morning. The first message was from Enzo and the second was from his wife Nova. I comforted their distress about my well about. Or only Enzo's. He wanted to make sure I was okay and unharmed, and Nova only wanted to make sure I was happy.  

My fingers glide over Marco's name on the screen. I glance at my husband on the phone inside, contemplating whether to call Marco. It's a risky move, but maybe I can pull it off without getting caught.

After the events of last night, it seems like Rocco wants a fresh start for us. I find it hard to believe that things can just go back to normal after everything that happened.

Just as I'm about to dial Marco's number, the balcony door swings open, making me jump in my seat. "We need to leave now. Grab your stuff and let's go," Rocco demands.

I roll my eyes at his abruptness.

We head back to the mansion. As soon as I step inside, Alaina rushes towards me, enveloping me in a tight hug as if I've been away for ages. "You're back. How was it?" She raises her hands. "Or maybe spare me the gory details."

She seems to think that Rocco and I hooked up last night. I wish she knew me well enough to understand that I wouldn't do that, especially after what she helped me with yesterday.

Rocco cocks an eyebrow before giving a brief nod and heading towards his father's office.

Alaina follows him until he disappears, then rushes me to the living room where Elizabeth is sitting with a bowl of oatmeal. She nearly chokes on it when she sees me and quickly stands up. "Why aren't you at the hotel getting intimate with your husband?"