16

Three weeks ago, I packed my bags but never got around to unpacking them, so I simply added a few more items before leaving

Three weeks ago, I packed my bags but never got around to unpacking them, so I simply added a few more items before leaving. The night before my departure, Rocco felt the need to give me instructions on dealing with Russians or Cartels, although I doubted encountering them while on my short trip. Exiting the room in my Teddy coat and short black dress, Rocco emerged from his office, his gaze lingering on my exposed legs, a sight he hadn't seen much of before.

He makes this uncomfortably hard sometimes.

"I'm leaving. Your guards are waiting in the entrance hall," I inform him, avoiding his steady gaze.

As he approached me, he took hold of my hand, focusing on the ring finger. It seemed as though he was ensuring the ring was still there. Did he suspect I would flee and abandon it here? Even if I attempted to escape, it would be difficult to evade his vigilant guards, particularly Carlo.

I withdrew my hands. "I have no intention of running away, if that's what you're thinking."

"I understand. I simply wanted to remind you of the significance of this ring." The eyes he held on it seemed intent and honest, yet strangely odd coming from a guy like him.

"This ring holds no meaning for me."

He placed his hands on my warm cheeks, then moved them to the back of my head. His touch sent trembles down my back, causing my skin to prickle with goosebumps. Leaning in as if to kiss me, he instead whispered in my ear, "It signifies everything, Claire."

My throat tightened as his words hit me, momentarily overpowering my senses before he gently pressed his lips against mine. I found myself losing track of time while exploring each other's lips for the first time. The taste of cool mint lingered in the air as I surrendered to the kiss, letting him delve into the depths of my mouth with his tongue, entwining with mine in a passionate dance. His kissing skills rivaled, if not surpassed, Marco's.

However, he was not Marco.

I created distance between us, contemplating the events and questioning my own actions. From the start, I had firmly resolved not to let things escalate to this level, but now I find myself pondering why his kisses are captivating. Rocco, lost in his own thoughts, silently departed as if nothing had transpired. I couldn't shake the feeling of guilt and confusion that lingered in the air. Perhaps we can pretend it never occurred. But who am I fooling? I am supposed to be his wife soon, and I will have to kiss him eventually.

Rocco softly utters, "Enjoy your trip." as we both avoid making eye contact. It makes me wonder if he anticipated this outcome or hoped for something more to unfold.

Was there a hidden meaning behind his actions, a longing for a deeper connection that we both were too afraid to acknowledge? As I walk away, I can't help but replay the moment in my mind, trying to decipher the true intentions behind Rocco's words. Perhaps there was a hint of regret in his voice for kissing, a silent plea for me to stay a little longer so he can kiss me even more. Or maybe it was simply a polite gesture, devoid of any underlying emotions. But regardless of the true meaning, his words mean nothing, and that kiss was nonexistent.