9

I neglected to let Rocco open the car door for me upon our arrival at the event

I neglected to let Rocco open the car door for me upon our arrival at the event. As I attempted to step out of the car, which was positioned at a very low height, Rocco extended his hand to assist me. Since I was not able to exit the car on my own, I accepted his help. The other guests had already entered the venue in anticipation of our arrival, with some following us closely from behind.

I noticed Paola Addonizio swiftly approaching me, although she seemed to be in a rush. I recall from the tea talk she organized for Nova in Florida that she is wedded to Marcello Addonizio, who holds a high rank in the Siena organization in Chicago.
The only girls that I was very well known with were those who attended events for my father's political parties. Even while pregnant, Paola looked great. She's a bit too talkative for my liking, though. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Paola led us inside the location and shared with us the details of her extensive travels this month to attend these events. She referred to it as the wedding mania. Evidently, the present young adult generation of the Siena is now at the stage where they are starting to form their own families. When she mentioned that, I thought about what Aldo said referring to consummating the marriage. How am I supposed to do that when my head and heart are elsewhere?

I had to get used to the idea of having Rocco holding me at his side. Walking next to him, gave me too many eyes, that I wasn't prepared for.

"It's not like I have anything better to do anyway. I live for these moments. I could plan your wedding if you'd like. Your brother and sister-in-law didn't even bother to ask me to plan theirs. And you saw how bland it was. For someone that is so in love, you would think they would've gone all out." Paola continued to talk.

Maybe because they have something different from the rest of us, is what I wanted to say. From the corner of my sight, I can see Rocco rolling his eyes as well.

"Thanks, Paola. We will give it a thought." I said.

A guy came over to us, cutting off Paola in the middle of her sentence. "Boss," he said, "Is this the soon-to-be Mrs?" He turned to me. He was a good-looking guy, just like most of the guys around here.

Paola shoved her hands onto her hips. "You better show some respect for the girl. Her name is Claire."

Rocco removed his arms from me and shook the man's hands. In all attempts to not stare at Paolo and roll his eyes at her once again. She can be a little too much. Rocco turned his back towards us and walked off without saying a word.

"Geez, what's up his ass?" The man asked. He stared at me and held out his hands. "Sorry for the lack of introduction. I'm Elio Santoni." The way his surname left his lips almost makes me envious of my lack of Italian accent.

I smile and shake his hand. "Right. The consigliere," I assumed, hoping I was right. The little bit of lessons Alaina taught me lingers in my mind. I would have to unarchive most of the things she explained so I do not embarrass myself tonight.