18

Claire avoids eye contact, gazing at the winery depicted on the wall

Claire avoids eye contact, gazing at the winery depicted on the wall. "Is that all you wanted to talk to me about?"

I wonder if my presence is so unbearable to her that she cannot even bring herself to look at me.  She has yet to recognize the dangers in our world. Perhaps when she does, she will be grateful that she ended up with me and not someone else.

"No. I want to take you away from the mansion for a while. I have an estate not far from here. I thought you might enjoy some time away."

"What about Alaina? Are we going to join her for dinner?" 

"That dinner doesn't concern us. She will receive her engagement ring today, and the wedding date will be set. Nothing particularly interesting." I cautiously step closer to her, half-expecting her to retreat and continue avoiding eye contact. She remains motionless, her breathing steady.

Every part of me wanted to kiss her again, yet I had a feelings she would only reject this time around.

She glances over my shoulders to see her guard standing nearby. I roll my eyes at his proximity. His back is turned to us, but I suspect he is listening to our conversation. They all do.

Facing Claire, I ask, "What do you think?"

She nods in agreement, and finally moved back from our close encounter.

I had only intended to keep her in my estate for a short period of time. My mother becomes extremely anxious when war is looming, fearing separation from her loved ones. She has always been worried that something terrible might happen if any of us leave the house. I wish she had shown the same concern for her daughter when she entrusted her to someone like Girolamo.

We arrived to the estate after a silence encounter on the way here. I placed Claire in what I like to call the tranquil room, equipped with everything an artistic person could desire - books, musical instruments, art supplies, and even some wine.

"Did you prepare this room for me?" Claire inquired.

"What makes you think that?"

"I've lived with you for nearly two months now, and I have yet to see you lift a finger on books, or art for that matter."

Nodding in understanding, I told her, "you haven't seen my room."

"You're an artist then?"

"I am more inclined towards books than art." I gestured towards the art supplies that I did indeed purchase for her, I said, "I have no interest in them. Feel free to make use of it all."

Claire examined the supplies, maintaining her composure but displaying some level of interest in them.

"With all your responsibilities, do you still find time to read?"

"From the moment you see me until we part ways for the day, I am occupied. However, once I am alone, I dedicate my time to studying. We run various businesses here, and in order to succeed, I must continue educating myself."