prologue

—ONCE, IN A WORLD FULL OF NORMALCY, THERE WAS A YOUNG BOY FILLED WITH MAGIC. He lived in Wool's orphanage as an orphan. He never knew his parents, really.

One day, a man with a white beard showed up and gave him a letter.

The old man claimed his name was Albus Dumbledore.

"You're the doctor, aren't you?" said the young boy, looking at the man with nothing but suspicion.

"No." Dumbledore shook his head. "I'm a professor."

"I don't believe you." scoffed the boy. "She wants me looked at. They think i'm.. different."

"Well, perhaps they're right."

"I'm not mad!"

"Hogwarts is not a place for mad people," said Dumbledore. "Hogwarts is a school. A school of magic. You can do things, can't you? Things other children can't."

"I can make things move without touching them," started the boy. "I can make animals do what I want without training them. I can make bad things happen to people who are mean to me. I can make them hurt.. if I want."

"Who are you?" asked the boy when he was done again, wanting to know for sure.

"I'm like you. I'm different." Albus Dumbledore said.

"Prove it."

The man looked at the boy's wardrobe and within one look, the closet was on fire in seconds.

The young boy's eyes widened with delight.

"I think there's something in your wardrobe trying to get out."

The boy stood up when the man said that and walked to the wardrobe, opening it regardless of the fire. He saw a letter inside— the letter the man was holding when he came in.

He took the letter and saw his name and address on it.

"What's your name?" asked Albus Dumbledore, even though he already knew the answer. Of course, he knew. He always did know. But he prayed he was wrong.

The young boy turned to look at him. "Ares. Ares Salazar Riddle."