chapter thirty six

—IT WAS FINALLY A HOGSMEADE WEEKEND. Ares had his permission slip and was with his friends. Draco and Blaise were excitedly chattering, while Theo was in a serious conversation with Daphne. Pansy was walking quietly beside Ares.

"Permission slip?" Professor McGonagall, who was in charge, asked them. They each showed her their slips one by one.

Ares's was signed by Lucius.

The woman hummed and let them go.

"Why are you so quiet?" Pansy asked Ares, who looked up and frowned.

"What should I say?"

"You know—" Blaise, who was walking in front of them with Draco, turned around and looked at them. "—I've heard there is a sweet shop only for candy?!"

Ares noted the excitement in the boy's voice. "Wow, Blaise. That really is something." He said sarcastically.

Blaise didn't notice the sarcasm and nodded. "I know!" He said, then turned back around and continued chatter with Draco as they walked.

✫ ✫ ✫

When they reached Honeydukes Sweetshop, Blaise was almost jumping up and down from excitement. He grabbed a basket and started putting all kinds of sweets in it, Draco following his every move.

"You're going to get a bunch of cavities," Daphne pointed out, looking at the almost-filled basket.

Blaise tutted. "I don't care," he replied truthfully.

Ares looked around the shop. His eyes stopped on Harry Potter, who was already staring at him.

Potter gave him a quick smile and looked away.

Ares frowned and rolled his eyes, also looking away.

Theo, who quietly noticed, didn't say a word. It wasn't his business.

Daphne hugged her coat tighter to herself and started rubbing her hands together as she shivered. "It's so cold."

"It's because the door is open," noticed Pansy.

"I should've worn gloves." Daphne murmured in regret.

Theo took off his gloves and gave it to her. "Here."

Daphne frowned. "No, thanks Theo. Keep it. You'll get cold."

Theo shook his head. "I insist."

She took his gloves after a moment of hesitation and put it on. It was a bit big on her, but it seemed to do the trick. "Thank you," she said gratefully.

Draco raised an eyebrow at the display. Theo merely glared at him.

Ares, who was quiet the whole time, said, "Hurry up, Blaise. Let's go to The Three Broomsticks next to get a warm drink."

"We're all dying here," added Pansy with a nod.

Blaise sighed in disappointment and walked over to the cashier. Within a few minutes, he paid and was given a plastic bag for his candy.

Blaise proudly held it up as they walked out of the shop. "Look! It's filled!"

"You have enough for the rest of the year," said Ares.

"Year?! This is for only a month." Blaise frowned and followed his friends, whom were all walking towards The Three Broomsticks.

When they reached the pub, they sat down around a table big enough for them. They were six people, after all.

Draco stood up. "What do each of you want?" He asked.

"I'll have a butterbeer," said Ares. Theo said the same thing.

"Hot chocolate for me," said Blaise, earning a nod from Draco.

"And me," said Pansy.

Draco looked at Daphne. "I'll also have a butterbeer."

Draco walked away and went to get them their drinks.

Ares looked out the window they were next to. He noted the snow that was falling from the sky. Some students were opening their mouth, trying to get the snow on their tongue.

He sneered in distaste and looked away. Some people truly had no etiquette.

Draco walked back with a tray of drinks five minutes later and gave them each their drink.

They all thanked him, while he took the tray back. A minute later, he sat down in front of his own butterbeer and drank it.

They all took a sip of their own drinks.

"Hmm," hummed Theo as he looked at his butterbeer.

"How does it taste?" asked Blaise curiously, who was enjoying his hot chocolate in this cold weather.

"Buttery and foamy," replied Theo.

Ares agreed.

A few minutes later, Daphne and Pansy were done with their drinks and they stood up. "We're going to Gladrags Wizardwear."

Theo asked, "What's that? A clothing shop?"

Pansy nodded. "Exactly."

"Have fun," said Blaise, sipping his hot chocolate.

The two girls muttered a 'thanks' and walked away.

"Yule's almost here," noted Theo as he looked out the window. "It's snowing."

"Yeah," replied Draco, "Where will you go this Yule, Blaise?"

"I'm spending it at home, probably. Mother wouldn't say why, but she insisted that we stay home this Yule." Blaise replied in thought. Why did his mother insist that?

"Same." Theo turned to look at him. "Huh. Why do you think that is?"

Blaise shrugged. He didn't have a clue. "I dunno."

"Well, I hope you both have a good Yule." Draco said. They both thanked him.

Ares, who was quiet the whole time, merely sipped on his butterbeer.