chapter sixteen

—ITALY WAS BEAUTIFUL. The Malfoy Manor of Italy was what made it even more beautiful. It was in the middle of nowhere and had a view of nature. There was a backyard pool and a lazy river. It was amazing.

Ares loved Italy. Draco was right. The house sure was beautiful.

It was white and had flowers all around it.

Ares liked it a lot. It felt like another home.

✫ ✫ ✫

"That was an amazing trip," said Draco two weeks later when they finally floo'd back home.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you enjoy it, Ares?" Lucius looked at the young boy expectantly.

Ares nodded immediately. "I really did. Thank you for taking me, Lucius and Cissa."

"We're glad to have you, Ares." Narcissa put a motherly hand on his shoulder, earning a small smile from the young boy. "Now, both of you boys, go unpack. And no procrastination."

"Yes, mother."

"Yes, Cissa."

✫ ✫ ✫

"Look. Blaise went to Paris over the summer." Draco showed Ares a picture of Blaise in front of the Eiffel Tower.

"Where'd you get that?"

Draco motioned to the letter in front of him. "Blaise wrote to us. I'm writing him back. I'll be sure to add your name at the bottom and add a picture of you eating gelato."

Ares rolled his eyes but smiled. "Go ahead, Draco."

Draco shrieked. Ares followed his gaze and looked at the door, watching as Nagini slithered in.

"How was your trip, Ares?" Nagini hissed as she curled up on Ares's lap and ignored Draco, who was tried to move his couch away as far as possible.

"I wish you were there, Nagini." Ares replied back and petted the snake's scales. She truly was a beautiful snake.

✫ ✫ ✫

"Occulumency," Lucius started that evening as he stared at Ares, "is the blocking of the mind. Anyone can try Legilimency on you and won't be able to get in if you know occulumency."

"Teach me," Ares said eagerly, watching as Lucius started circling him.

"This will be very personal and too nerve racking, Ares. I will see memories you won't want me to see, hear thoughts you don't want me to know, feel feelings you don't want to show. Are you sure?"

He had nothing to hide. Let Lucius see, hear, and feel everything.

It's not like Ares loved someone romantically. Or saw something he shouldn't have seen. Or had thoughts he didn't want anyone knowing— well, that last one was a lie. But all he had to do was get rid of those thoughts so Lucius wouldn't hear then.

"I'm sure. Teach me, Lucius."

"You have to block me out. You have to push me out, Ares."

"Do it."

Lucius stopped and stared into the boys eyes. "Legilimens."